Laptop - wifi adaptor missing - no it's not - yes it is!

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
chrisell

Re: Laptop - wifi adaptor missing - no it's not - yes it is!

Post by chrisell »

Fitter wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:59 pm
It'a 4 year old HP Pavillion.
Thanks for that advice about the wifi dongle - I was looking at that on Amazon a couple of days ago wondering if it would help.
I'll probably get one now and try it.
That explains a lot - mine too - pretty much the same age. Mines had a hard life I assumed it was endless knocks and being full of dust - but exactly the same laptop and symptoms.

Plugging a cheapo dongle in definitely works for me - been like it for two years or more now.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Our Hewie (Hewlett Packard) is probably full of cat hair - I really can't be arsed to research how to dismantle it without wrecking it and vacuuming out the offending feline hair.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Fitter, reducing heat inside your Hewie is always a good idea, keep the air moving and the fan spinning. The accumulation of dust and cat hair is not very helpful in achieving this goal. You can have a look inside without opening your laptop: the guys of CPUID have several nice, lean and mean tools to do this. To check the temperature of your processor and hard disk try HWMonitor. In limbo about memory expansion, what type of memory do I need? Another classic: CPU-Z. A bunch of free Christmas gifts, all year round. Go to the tabs memory and SPD and there you'll see all the details about your memory.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Got a Foktech (be careful with that brand name!) wireless dongle from Amazon - bit of the usual blundering around in the dark installing it:

"Plug this in, play this DVD, left click etc and you will see this on the screen" Err - no you don't - you don't see anything like that. etc.

But that's worth another post about "Why can't IT/computer people write proper manuals and instructions?"

But the wifi dongle is a vast improvement on the inbuilt garbage that is now disabled. Quicker, doesn't keep coming up with can't find this or that, streams video with no interruptions or buffering.

Thanks for the tip Chrisell!
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain