How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Water, electricity, gas etc.
Franksgranny
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Franksgranny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 pm

I am completely dim, what are plastic gas bottles, at the supermarket or DIY place they all look like metal to me, should I be using one for my cooker? Are they cheaper or just lighter to manoeuvre?

User avatar
Crazy Diamond
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Crazy Diamond » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Plastic gas bottles pretty much fit their description: gas bottles made from plastic rather than steel. They are smaller (there are two sizes) and much lighter, so, in my opinion, far easier and more convenient. If you get one you'll need a different regulator which is far simpler and quicker to fit when you're changing bottles. Very useful when madame's soufflé is on the go. In addition there's a clear-ish plastic strip on the side so you can see how much gas which remains in the bottle. Handy.

Not sure how they compare price-wise/litre of gas, but somehow think they're on a par. No doubt someone on here can provide chapter and verse on that.

Amazed you've not come across them as they've been around for years.


Syd.
These users thanked the author Crazy Diamond for the post:
Franksgranny (Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 am)
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

User avatar
Aardvark
Posts: 1944
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm
Has thanked: 1568 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Aardvark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 am

All the smaller, more convenient gas containers are more expensive than the standard ones.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

User avatar
Crazy Diamond
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Crazy Diamond » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:14 pm

I just came across the receipt for the last (plastic) bottle of gas I bought on 06 November and I paid €25.95 for a 10kg/20l bottle. No idea how that compares with the cost of a steel bottle.

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

User avatar
Spotty
Posts: 2039
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 am
Location: Vendée
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Spotty » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I just came across the receipt for the last (plastic) bottle of gas I bought on 06 November and I paid €25.95 for a 10kg/20l bottle. No idea how that compares with the cost of a steel bottle.

Syd.
13kg steel bottle of propane is about €25 at our so near so Spar

elsie
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by elsie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:03 pm

As an example, https://selectra.info/propane/guides/bo ... omparaison has a comparison of both butane and propane gas in different container formats. Butane ranges from 2.10€/kg to 7.67 €/kg and propane from 2.69 €/kg to 9.2 €/kg! The page also has the current deposit charges.

User avatar
Aardvark
Posts: 1944
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm
Has thanked: 1568 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Aardvark » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm

The linked site is very incomplete for many of the brands but does serve to point out the relative prices of a standard steel 13kg bottle as opposed to a much smaller plastic one. Clearly the 13kg is a pig to lift into a car and drag to the kitchen, etc. compared to a smaller plastic one. You pays your money and takes your choice. And yes, the connections on the larger ones are a nuisance.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by vic evans » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Spotty wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm
Crazy Diamond wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I just came across the receipt for the last (plastic) bottle of gas I bought on 06 November and I paid €25.95 for a 10kg/20l bottle. No idea how that compares with the cost of a steel bottle.

Syd.
13kg steel bottle of propane is about €25 at our so near so Spar
I very recently changed a 13 kg propane at the local SuperU self service & paid about €35 if remember correctly.

User avatar
Spotty
Posts: 2039
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 am
Location: Vendée
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Spotty » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:36 pm

vic evans wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm
Spotty wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm
Crazy Diamond wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I just came across the receipt for the last (plastic) bottle of gas I bought on 06 November and I paid €25.95 for a 10kg/20l bottle. No idea how that compares with the cost of a steel bottle.

Syd.
13kg steel bottle of propane is about €25 at our so near so Spar
I very recently changed a 13 kg propane at the local SuperU self service & paid about €35 if remember correctly.
Ouch !

Maricopa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to dispose of a steel gas bottle.

Post by Maricopa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:55 pm

vic evans wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm
Spotty wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

13kg steel bottle of propane is about €25 at our so near so Spar
I very recently changed a 13 kg propane at the local SuperU self service & paid about €35 if remember correctly.

Glad you posted that Vic, 25€ seemed cheap to me, I too recently paid about 35€.

Post Reply