Dead beetles

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Veem

Dead beetles

Post by Veem »

Over the past 3-4 days (since the weather turned much warmer) we have found loads of beetles on their backs inside the house. Almost all are dead already and the rest, some of which are crawling weakly, clearly seem to be dying. They are quite narrow and a little over 1cm long. Their wing cases are edged in a striking but rather dull shade of reddish/pink with a patch of fawn/grey forming a long oval shape in the middle. Their heads are also red.

Does anyone know what they are? Most of these beetles are upturned quite close to French doors which we use fairly regularly. Do you think they moved into the house to escape last week's very cold spell or have they overwintered inside? In 13 years here we have not seen these before.

I'm pretty certain they're not the Red Lily Beetle which has become such a pest in the UK. These are not as red nor as wide.

vic evans

Re: Dead beetles

Post by vic evans »

Did you perhaps bring 'em in with the firewood?
It happened here in a gite a pal looks after & the holidaymakers wouldn't stay as they said the place was infested.

Veem

Post by Veem »

That is a distinct possibility Vic and the fact that (I thought) it hadn't happened before by no means rules it out. OH now tells me he has seen this beetle before .......... just not on such a grand scale.

He loaded up the log stand in the lounge on Friday and we haven't had a fire in there since Thursday as it has turned much warmer. I just had a close look all around the log stand and there seem to be quite a few there. So I think you've solved the problem. I wonder how many there still might be ready to crawl out ............. :shock:

I'd still like to know what they are though if anyone has any suggestions. I've looked at hundreds online but none seems to be a match.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme »

John Lennon, George Harrison - oh, I now see you said beetles!

Veem

Post by Veem »

The Fab Four crawling around weakly in our lounge and finishing up dead on their backs would have been quite a scoop.

As it was these red, flat beetles which used our wood pile as a Trojan horse turned out to be 'Red Flat Bark Beetles'. Pretty obvious name in the end. Whoever named them could have come up with a rather more exotic name for a very attractive insect.

Jeff66

Post by Jeff66 »

pomme homme wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 pm
John Lennon, George Harrison - oh, I now see you said beetles!
You missed out Paul McCartney. :lol:

Veem

Post by Veem »

What about Ringo then? :cry:

jsks

Post by jsks »

Paul and Ringo are not dead yet.

Although I agree it's hard to tell.

vic evans