Molotov.tv

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
elsie

Molotov.tv

Post by elsie »

I've not seen it mentioned here, but Molotov.tv is a free service offering the free French TV services over the internet which might be of interest. There are various applications you can download for TVs, smart phones, tablets, PCs, Chromecast, etc. There are various additional subscription offers which allow you to record programs, access paying channels, etc. I've only used it a couple of times without problems (both of a Windows PC and an android tablet) as I have a TNT satellite box.

Molotov.tv was set up in 2016 by ex- Allociné and Canal+ executives; I'd not seen anything about it until a recent article in la Tribune discussing the future of television and mentioning TF1, M6 and France Télévisions planning a service called Salto for their programmes and as a competitor to Netflix. Whether Molotov.tv will survive is another matter. Not much income, the Salto consortium thought it too expensive to buy so are starting from scratch, but there are the telecoms companies...

Annabelle's Papa

Re: Molotov.tv

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Hi Elsie, I have been looking for some way of showing French TV to my daughter to assist in her French studies, tried to register but as I am currently in the UK they want me to pay €3.99 a month, I may try it when next in France with a French email address. Thanks for posting :good:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Ally

Post by Ally »

I've tried to download Molotov in the past and just tried again. It keeps telling me that it's not available in my country. I'm in France. Any ideas please.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:11 am
Hi Elsie, I have been looking for some way of showing French TV to my daughter to assist in her French studies, tried to register but as I am currently in the UK they want me to pay €3.99 a month, I may try it when next in France with a French email address. Thanks for posting :good:
It doesn't need a French e-mail address - I'm using a Gmail address. But you probably need to be using a French IP address from your French ISP.

If you have access to a VPN service you should be able to set that to a French IP and download it.

I'm not sure it checks the IP address when you run the software. I had it running on an Android tablet with a Belgian IP.
Last edited by elsie on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Ally wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:18 am
I've tried to download Molotov in the past and just tried again. It keeps telling me that it's not available in my country. I'm in France. Any ideas please.
You are probably using a VPN and don't have a French IP address set. Have you tried using iplocation to check? I've not had any problems.

Ally

Post by Ally »

French ISP. French IP address. No VPN installed. No Molotov TV.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Ally: There must be something in you setup blocking the download. Do you get any error or other message?
Have you had problems with any other download?
What device are you trying to download it for?
Which operating system?
Have you tried in an incognito browser window?
Have you tried a different browser?

Have you tried the cliquez ici at the top of the download page https://www.molotov.tv/download ?
Si votre téléchargement ne démarre pas, cliquez ici pour le lancer immédiatement.
Molotov est disponible sur Windows 64 bits ou 32 bits - Mac - Linux

Ally

Post by Ally »

IOS on an iPhone and Android on a Samsung Galaxy tablet.
If I click the telecharger link Molotov appears in Play or Istore but flagged unavailable in my country.
If I go directly to Play or Istore Molotov doesn't appear when I search.
Maybe relevant. Pal recommended a film/series on Netflix when I search, it's not there. I've tried the other things you suggested. No joy.
Thanks for trying.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Ally, it sounds very much as though you need to change the country associated with you Google Play Store and Apple App Store as some apps restrict downloads to specific countries based on that setting.

If you search for "play store country restriction" you should find an appropriate method for Google Play Store and a similar search should find a method to sort out your iPhone.

I set up my Play Store account a long time ago and possibly them country wasn't needed as there isn't one in my account. It is a long time since I've used the account; the bank card associated with it expired a couple of years ago! I might well need to enter a country now if I added a valid bank card?

Regarding Netflix, there seem to have been changes which may be relevant. A few years ago when a friend with a UK Netflix account used it here in France she got the French Netflix films, etc (which enabled us to watch the Elementary series which wasn't available on UK Netflix) but now when that account is used here the films etc listed are the UK selection.

Ally

Post by Ally »

OK. Thanks. Busy day today. Airport run. I will try later.