Signal Quality - Terrestrial TV

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Sizewell

Signal Quality - Terrestrial TV

Post by Sizewell »

Just under a month ago, we totally lost the signal to our satellite for English TV. We rang a local Satellite repairman who came out and found that the cables in our loft and also on the roof had frayed quite badly, So he replaced them all. I also asked him if he could connect the Terrestrial aerial which was currently sitting on our roof idle. He connected this up and made a 3-way connection to our TV so that we could watch both English and French programs. Total cost was just under €250.
I have noticed on a few occasions for the terrestrial TV that although the signal strength remains at 100%, the signal quality can fluctuate from 100% down to 0%. Sometimes remaining at 0%. Would this be down to atmospheric conditions or due to a loose connection somewhere?
Last night it was quite windy here and strength & quality was solid at 100%.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Signal Quality - Terrestrial TV

Post by Le Démerdeur »

For TNT I have found that the signal strength is meaningless and the signal quality is everything, I have one antenne with a distribution amplifier to 6 different apartments, the quality will drop on a wet misty day like today and certain channels will pixellate or drop out and others not.

Not only that I have identical TV's in the apartments and one may lose say BFM and the one opposite will have it at 75% quality, its not the cabling as the fault moves with the TV if they are swopped.

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

What does a frayed cable look like never heard the description they are plastic with a copper gauze and wire and metal sheath what fabric frayed sat tv has only been around a short while how old were the cables as for 250 euros eek

Sizewell

Post by Sizewell »

crakpot wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:37 pm
What does a frayed cable look like never heard the description they are plastic with a copper gauze and wire and metal sheath what fabric frayed sat tv has only been around a short while how old were the cables as for 250 euros eek
well, he showed me them and about half a metre of the cable was worn, and in some places copper showing through. I don't know how long they had been up there. He tested the signal at the socket end, which was not giving off any signal, I had also checked this prior to calling him. He checked for a signal at the satellite dish which gave a good signal. Yeah, €250 is a bit steep, but the Sat TV is now working, we never used the Terrestrial aerial before, hence my question. Also I am too old to be climbing on roofs.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Always a good idea: not Paris this time but the use of low-loss outdoor rated coaxial cable. Better shielding and less signal loss because of low capacitance. The use of consumer grade indoor coaxial cable is not an exception and today with digital hd tv you need a good signal strength. In the days of analogue tv your punishment would be some noise in the picture, now pixelation and freezing.