Log Burner Fan ?

Water, electricity, gas etc.
Annabelle's Papa

Log Burner Fan ?

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I went to a friends house last week, who has recently had a multi fuel stove installed, even though it looked lovely and warm the house/room was cold unless you walked up to it. I lent him one of my stove fans to 'push' the hot air around the room.

Today they came for lunch and he returned the fan saying it did nothing to circulate the heat... I immediately put it on top of our stove and within less than a minute the fan was purring away making it's own electricity and warming our house, I even proved that the back wall of the lounge had increased in temperature by 5 degrees using an infra red heat probe, he still wouldn't have it.

I was to say the least gobsmacked, can anyone suggest why A- it wouldn't work on his stove (top of the range Clearview) or B- that he refused to believe that it heated the room up better given the blatant facts ?

P.s He is a surveyor if that has anything to do with it

:?
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

ajm

Re: Log Burner Fan ?

Post by ajm » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Our fan works fine on our Clearview. The lounge has an oak beam - the fire side of the beam used to get over heated and the other half always felt a few degrees cooler but with the fan the room has a uniform temperature and leaving the door to the kitchen open it's warmer in there as well.
You can't please some folk - ah well!

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Who in France hasn't got a log burner fan whilst not owning a log burner ?
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:19 pm

We've got one on top of our lounge woody - it works!
You have to choose where to place it for maximum effect - ie not in front of the stove pipe if its a top flued burner.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am

Maybe you were acting just like several now ex friends involved with Amway or Vorwerk, "making its own electricity" was a giveaway!!

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am

My evening lounge gets too hot so we put one at the side to blow across the top of the stove, past the flue pipe, and down a short passage to the dinning room. Our stove there is completely exposed ie not inside a fireplace might that make a difference?. It worked fine and made a difference to both rooms. Two years ago, I noticed a similar one in Aldi (much, much cheaper) so I bought that and it sits along side the other. This works a treat - a cosy lounge and a reasonable temp in the dinning room so the stove there is rarely used.

The first was a gift from my daughter and I must admit I was sceptical, but they work.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am

My fan works. I have a thermometer in the far corner of the room and to raise the temperature there I used to have to use an electric radiator or poele a petrole but now, with a fan, the warm air circulates everywhere,
I lent a fan to some neighbours but they returned it after a day complaining about sitting in the draft it caused. I’ve never worked that one out because I’ve never seen any moving air caused by it despite experimenting with feathers and smoking candles. The air circulates but I’ve now idea how!
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
Annabelle's Papa (Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm)

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks Dominic, that's reassuring to know that there are other non-believers out there, as an experiment I removed the fan from our large log burner in the kitchen, recessed in the fire place you can't see it, within half an hour OH walked into the kitchen and asked why had it gone so cold, I rest my case, they must work !
:good:

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 pm

2EBED13E-D8F5-42BE-B27E-85FEA68A6EE2.jpeg
2EBED13E-D8F5-42BE-B27E-85FEA68A6EE2.jpeg (55.81 KiB) Viewed 410 times
I use one on an electric Aga as well. It distributes the heat beautifully.
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
Annabelle's Papa (Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm)

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Dominic, you have got me pining for my old Rayburn solid fuel stove, we loved breakfast, all placed on a griddle above a baking tray, bacon, sausages, tomatoes and hash browns underneath to catch the juices, wacked in the oven then 30-40 minute walk with dog on a cold morning and return to the best breakfast ever !
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
DominicBest (Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm)