French SIM card for Ancient Nokia

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

Re: French SIM card for Ancient Nokia

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The ones from Free.fr come at the larger size and the smaller ones contained within can be broken out of the small retaining clips, they will clip back together again to use as the larger sizes without needing any tape, I was sceptical but they are really well designed and produced.

buzz

Post by buzz »

I've had my leclerc sim for ages, since way before the smaller sims were invented. I got a new phone recently that needed the smaller size so I thought I'd have to get a replacement sim and pay for it, but the guy in leclerc had a special tool to cut it down to size. Cost nothing. Nice surprise.

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere »

Thanks for replies. Have now signed up for free.fr 2€ monthly. Once set up it will take care of itself and I won't have to rely on my memory.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:36 pm
The ones from Free.fr come at the larger size and the smaller ones contained within can be broken out of the small retaining clips, they will clip back together again to use as the larger sizes without needing any tape, I was sceptical but they are really well designed and produced.
They can separate when trying to remove them or get displaced when inserting them. Thin plastic tape or sticky back labels will hold the parts together and the added thickness is not enough to affect the fit. I've done it many times dozens as I switch sims between phones and mifi dongles.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:05 pm
b33jay wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:55 pm
jardiniere wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:25 pm
Thanks for replies. I've been using my old Nokia here for 15+ years but with a Tesco PAYG SIM.
I've found out that my phone is a Nokia model 3120 and takes the standard SIM card so I'm a lot further forward in my quest. Doug, I would prefer a French equivalent of the Tesco PAYG for simplicity but I thought I'd read that with LeClerc, your credit is taken away if you don't use it within a short time. Is this so?
Tesco payg expires after 6 months with no use and most operators' sims have a no-use time out..
I have a Tesco PAYG that I use to receive SMS codes from my UK bank once in a blue moon. They credit has never expired.
Then it suggests that you must have used the sim within the 6 month cut-off.

From Tesco T&C

5.4‌ If you do not use your Mobile Phone for six months we will disconnect you and you will lose your Credits and Mobile Phone number.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I used it about three weeks ago for the first time in years because Barclays needed to send me a code. Before that I hadn’t used it at all since autumn 2013. I presume the T and C were different when I got it. I didn’t even take it with me when I went to the U.K. last as it’s cheaper to make calls in my French contract phone.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

b33jay wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:11 pm

They can separate when trying to remove them or get displaced when inserting them. Thin plastic tape or sticky back labels will hold the parts together and the added thickness is not enough to affect the fit. I've done it many times dozens as I switch sims between phones and mifi dongles.
Good point, I will remember that.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

For all those using Tesco payg are you on the Lite tariff? Calls 8p/min - text 4p. - data 10p/MB Call 282 and ask to be transferred to Lite.

However, Three mobile 3-2-1 tariff is cheaper at 3p/min - 2p text and 1p/MB ;)

We have dual sim phones with Three and Tesco sims which covers those areas in our travels where one or other has no service.