A Reminder

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Hexenbeest

A Reminder

Post by Hexenbeest »

Could I remind everyone who feeds birds to please remove the netting from fatballs before putting them out for the birds. Birds can get their claws caught in the netting and are unable to release themselves thus ending up like this poor darling:
43750652_2307462826142374_8547686111105777664_n.jpg
43750652_2307462826142374_8547686111105777664_n.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 533 times
There are several types of cheap fatball feeders on the market that are much safer for the birds. All that's required is removing the netting, tossing the fatballs in the feeder and hanging the feeder up. :)
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

CRAZY DIAMOND

Re: A Reminder

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Wow, I had never considered that possibility and will in future ensure we remove the netting from any fat balls we put out for the birds. I guess there is only a danger from suspended fat balls, rather than those left on a bird table - is that correct? Is there a safe alternative which can be hung up?

The birds feeding outside our kitchen give us hours of enjoyment and this will hopefully continue, but in future we'll adopt an ornithological health and safety policy. Many thanks for pointing out this danger.

Syd.
Last edited by CRAZY DIAMOND on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Reef

Post by Reef »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 am
Wow, I had never considered that possibility and will in future ensure we remove the netting from any fat balls we put out for the birds. I guess there is only a danger from suspended fat balls, rather than those left on a bird table - is that correct? Is there a safe alternative which can be hung up?
Syd.
I have always put them on the bird table with the net on and never seen a problem.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 am

The birds feeding outside our kitchen give us hours of enjoyment and this will hopefully continue, but in future we'll adopt an ornithological health and safety policy. Many thanks for pointing out this danger.

Syd.
Even if you leave them on a table, they can choke on a piece of netting by inadvertently biting a bit off while trying to get at the fatball. There are several feeders that you can buy. This is one example:
https://www.amazon.fr/Supa-Distributeur ... stributeur

Reef wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:22 am
I have always put them on the bird table with the net on and never seen a problem.
There's always a first time. The birds may not choke to death on your table there and then, but fly away and hide (as birds and animals do when in pain) choking to death very slowly.

Prevention better than cure? Better safe than sorry?
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Tom

Post by Tom »

Our Atac supermarket sells spiral metal fat ball holders for just over €5. You hang them up and then pull them like a spring to open the spiral wide enough to reload them. A really neat and simple design. Bought one today because of this post.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash