A place for some light-hearted chat.
Nifty

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Nifty »

I can’t think what made me stick this up here :>&

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Earlier on this evening BBC4's hour long 50s Rock and Roll archive, with Elvis of course, but also Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddei Cochrane, Gene Vincent and the Everly Brothers. Even delayed switching over to Vera to hear it through. :D

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

The Steve Hughes was brill - thanks
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

For all you lovers of the Uileann pipes and Irish folk music - this young man seems to me to be as good as any I've heard:

There is a wealth of extraordinarily talented folk musicians on Youtube and I, for one, am extremely grateful to them! :good: :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Biggles wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:07 pm
For all you lovers of the Uileann pipes and Irish folk music - this young man seems to me to be as good as any I've heard:

There is a wealth of extraordinarily talented folk musicians on Youtube and I, for one, am extremely grateful to them! :good: :good:
Love that, indeed all Celtic music of which there is plenty to be found in France. The pipes he was playing are similar in principle to the French Cornemuse in that both have bags filled by pumping with the elbow. Another popular instrument here is the one like a violin but instead of a bow playing across the strings there is a handle at the end which is turned around.

We used to go every year to a festival in a village in the Morvan called Anost. took the caravan and made a weekend of it in the park at the bottom of the hill. We wouild walk up the hill to the village each evening where there were groups of musicians in the streets here and there and also in the restaurants where we ate.

An added bonus was the fact that many of the musicians were either amateur or semi-professional and camped alongside us, practising and playing far into the night.

Back home here the regular Bles d'Or dances, guingettes, always have live bands and many are in this traditional streak.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you Spardo, the instrument you described is a Hurdy Gurdy - one of my favourite instruments - produces an unique sound. :good:

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Biggles wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:31 am
Thank you Spardo, the instrument you described is a Hurdy Gurdy - one of my favourite instruments - produces an unique sound. :good:

I knew that was the English name but I don't use it as to me it conjures up visions of blokes in the street with what I would call a barrel organ and a monkey on a chain seeking contributions for a mug he held out. And as such I thought it devalues the instrument and its players.

I said as much in a letter to the now long defunct English language newspaper from Bordeaux complaining about their use of the term and was roundly admonished by an 'expert', whether in the instrument or language I can't recall. :roll:

So what is its French name. my online dictionary says vielle a roue, but I seem to recal a different name? :?

Now I think about it, I think it was called simply une vielle.

I do miss those visits though and also the Sunday guingettes. My wife can hardly walk now, much less dance and my suggestion to go and meet old friends and simply listen falls on deaf ears. In any case they are so overcrowded with oldies that you have to get there early to get a seat, and Fran just does not do 'early'. :roll:

I have told her, only half joking, that if she kicks the bucket first, I'll be down there like a shot. Think about it chaps, there is one massive advantage to being a shorter lived male, there's less competition if you can hang on long enough. Even with her with me to protect me, I was constantly being whisked onto the floor by comely 60 somethings. :lol:

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

London Irish.

Ally

Post by Ally »