PDF's not opening but filling up hard drive.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
exile

Re: PDF's not opening but filling up hard drive.

Post by exile »

I have had a similar problem except that the pdfs do not download but just hang somewhere.

My solution: Instead of click on "open", I click on "save" and once the security check has been made it gives me the option to "open" which it does immediately. Probably one of Mr Gate's features (aka a bug).

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm
Chancer, click on the menu bar of Firefox (3 horizontal bars top right), then click on Parametres and in the page that opens scroll down until you see Téléchargements. Click in the circle next to Toujours demander où sauvegarder/enregistrer. A bit further down the page is the option for Applications, there you can choose to open pdf documents in Firefox before deciding whether to save them or not. Close the onglet and you should be fine next time you click on a pdf link.
Couldn't find paramètres but found what you describe under "Options", clicked on "toujours demander où enregistrer les fichiers, further down under "fichier PDF" it shows "utiliser par defaut" presume that means Firefox, the other options did not seem right for me, no button anywhere to click to save these parameters so just closed it down like you said, will try again now.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Better but still not doing what it should do and used to do, now it asks me where I want to save it but I dont want to save it, I want to look at it!

However knowing where it will be saved if I allow it to be saved is a major achievement nonetheless and I am very gratefull, it must be something on the second parameter.

hez

Post by hez »

Have you not got the blue downwards arrow appearing on your toolbar when you click the link. If you click on that, if you have, it shows the file. If not right click on the toolbar and drag it from there to the toolbar.
Last edited by hez on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm
Better but still not doing what it should do and used to do, now it asks me where I want to save it but I dont want to save it, I want to look at it!

However knowing where it will be saved if I allow it to be saved is a major achievement nonetheless and I am very gratefull, it must be something on the second parameter.
What "should" it do and what "used" it to do?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Open the PDF so I can read it, just as clicking on a link to a web page would do, before it didnt open but saved it somewhere so safe that I could never find it, now thanks to you it asks me first but doesnt open the file or give me the option to.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

OK, in your Options page, scroll down to Applications and you should see something like the below image, except in French.
app1.PNG
app1.PNG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 238 times
In the highlighted dropdown list in English are the options Preview in Firefox, Always ask and Save file, choose the Preview in Firefox option and the pdfs should now open like web pages in Firefox, with the option to Save/Télécharger available.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had looked there, mine is in French, it does not give me that option, it is set for "utilisé (par défaut)" it was previously set to "enregistrer le fichier", i am thinking that my Firefox does not have the means to read PD's but I have found an option to force it to Acrobat reader so I am trying that now, will report back.

thanks again

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

No different, its now asking me if I want to save it as an Acrobat PDF file :(

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I thought that I had cracked it, at least I can see where i was going wrong, I was changing the settings for fichier PDF and lower down, off the screen was also Portable document format PDF, that one did give me the option of aperçu dand Firefox but made no difference, it still opens the file manager window and suggests where it will be filed asking for permission, tried a re-boot and still the same.

This kind of **** happens to me all the time, I never change any settings or load new programs for fear of the repurcussions but it still happens regardless.