PDF's not opening but filling up hard drive.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

PDF's not opening but filling up hard drive.

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I am useless with computers and I find it frustrating enough when I click to save or download a document that it just blinks and never tells me if it has been saved or where, in fact i only recently found a sub folder full of files many repeated that I had never been able to find previously.

Now if I click to read a PDF (Andys brexit posting this morning being the latest) instead of being able to read the document and then decide whether to save it to an unknown folder the screen just blinks, so I click again, same thing happens, eventually the penny drops and if I go searching I will find the duplicated files, a warning that the file already exists do I want to overwrite it would at least alert me to what is going on.

Any ideas? Its only started recently, I have changed nothing to my knowledge, its the laptop running Windows 7 and I use Firefox to access this forum but I think it happens with other browsers.

Tom

Re: PDF's not opening but filling up hard drive.

Post by Tom »

Have you installed a good PDF reader?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b599b31bf5
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have always had a PDF reader and would not know a good from a bad one, I dont think the issue is the reader not being good, it has served me well for years but that when I click on a link to a PDF the computer or browser or whatever saves it automatically without asking or telling me where.

elsie

Post by elsie »

I suggest you download and install a free program called Everything http://www.voidtools.com It will allow you to search the whole of your computer for any file so you'll never not be able to find one again. If you use it and seach for *.pdf it will find all your PDF files.

I think the best free PDF reader is Sumatra https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

You may need to go to the Control Panel and set a default program to open PDF files. This will tell you how to do that https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change- ... ws-2624477

hez

Post by hez »

I think the best free PDF reader is Sumatra https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html
Me too.

Tom

Post by Tom »

God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Thanks for all the replies, I wont at this time install another PDF reader as I dont have any problems with the one I have to my knowledge and everything I do with computers always causes many more problems than it resolves if it indeed even resolves anything.

I see the instructions for setting which program is the default PDF reader but the computer is not even trying to read anything, its just saving without telling me, its as uncommunicative as most of the French around here.

Also my Windows operating system is in French and whilst translating is no problem for me, computer terms are harder and the menu structure is often completely different so its rare that I can actually find the parameter to change.

Yet the pdf reader does indeed launch when I click on a file in a folder and I'm pretty sure still does a lot of the time when I click on a link which is a PDF file or an attachment to an Email, cant recall the name of the PDF reader, might be Foxit or Open Office perhaps?

It happened yesterday when i tried to see my avis d'impôts on line and today when I clicked on the link in Andys brexit thread this morning, what happens when you click on it?

hez

Post by hez »

It opens in my reader as usual. I didn't read it though :P

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Chancer, click on the menu bar of Firefox (3 horizontal bars top right), then click on Parametres and in the page that opens scroll down until you see Téléchargements. Click in the circle next to Toujours demander où sauvegarder/enregistrer. A bit further down the page is the option for Applications, there you can choose to open pdf documents in Firefox before deciding whether to save them or not. Close the onglet and you should be fine next time you click on a pdf link.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Oooh, that sounds very promising, will try it toute de suite :good: