Has Orange decouverte tariff been withdrawn?

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Annabelle's Papa

Has Orange decouverte tariff been withdrawn?

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

We used to be able to switch on and off our broadband and phone when we weren't there, it took approximately 2 weeks notice to activate by calling them, which was ok as it saved us around €150 per year which wasn't bad, we rang up today to suspend the service to be told many months ago this tariff has been withdrawn, they haven't notified us and the last time we activated it was at the end of May. We initially paid for the router box approximately €30'ish.

Firstly is this information correct, we have been Orange customers for years and have been given mis-information before only to speak to someone else and get a totally different story.

Secondly is there a provider that offers a similar service for us to look at, we only require the broadband in reality we were paying €35 a month.

We have another house where we have Orange broadband and internet phone where it is on permanently which costs us €29.99 a month which is not bad.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Headers

Re: Has Orange decouverte tariff been withdrawn?

Post by Headers »

Is your mobile phone signal at the property any good? If it is, you could either use the phone as a domino for internet access or buy a domino box.

Orange mobile provide this service. We gave up our landline, but have internet phone and WiFi at the house, but when we’re out and about, we use the mobile phone to act as a roving WiFi and pair our other gadgets to it. Never managed to use more than 1mb in a day - tho I don’t download tv or films, but for anything else it works really well.

I’m sure there are other solutions out there too.

Jaques

Post by Jaques »

We were told the service has been withdrawn also.

If you have orange with another house you could use orange hotspot to het internet

And for a telephone I would recommend ‘free.fr’

2€ per month (no contract) 2 hrs of calls per month around the world (most countries) includes mobiles in france, and a vsmall amount of download oer month

Kizpip

Post by Kizpip »

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Headers wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Is your mobile phone signal at the property any good? If it is, you could either use the phone as a domino for internet access or buy a domino box.

Orange mobile provide this service. We gave up our landline, but have internet phone and WiFi at the house, but when we’re out and about, we use the mobile phone to act as a roving WiFi and pair our other gadgets to it. Never managed to use more than 1mb in a day - tho I don’t download tv or films, but for anything else it works really well.

I’m sure there are other solutions out there too.
Do you really mean 1MB? That’s a very small unit in download terms, less than most photographs and about 1/20th of a typical podcast.

Headers

Post by Headers »

Sorry got my mégas and gigas muddled!

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I guessed you meant that. :)

I found this when checking facts. Quite a difference.
F474BEF4-737B-4F4E-BE9A-6C7D41DCBC12.jpeg
F474BEF4-737B-4F4E-BE9A-6C7D41DCBC12.jpeg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Annabelle's Papa

Hi Jaques

"If you have orange with another house you could use orange hotspot to het internet"

How does this work and what would it cost ? be gentle with me as I am not very technolodgy competent !

Thanks
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Jaques

Post by Jaques »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am
Hi Jaques

"If you have orange with another house you could use orange hotspot to het internet"

How does this work and what would it cost ? be gentle with me as I am not very technolodgy competent !

Thanks
There is no cost, they use ’hotspots’ compiled of other orange users, you need to alow your existing line (you said you had another) set up as a hotspot for orange which then alows you to use all hotspots throughout France. At first I thought it me t allowing strangers to use MY wifi, it is but its not ! Hooe that makes sense. Speak to orange and they will help you change the setting on your account. In theory you could be using next doors wifi via hotspot on the second house, worst case you may have to go down the road or to a town

Annabelle's Papa

Jaques wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:23 pm
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am
Hi Jaques

Thanks
There is no cost, they use ’hotspots’ compiled of other orange users, you need to alow your existing line (you said you had another) set up as a hotspot for orange which then alows you to use all hotspots throughout France. At first I thought it me t allowing strangers to use MY wifi, it is but its not ! Hooe that makes sense. Speak to orange and they will help you change the setting on your account. In theory you could be using next doors wifi via hotspot on the second house, worst case you may have to go down the road or to a town
Thanks for that Jaques ! Makes sense and could save us a few hundred €'s a year. I'll get the OH on to it when she gets back, glad I posted my original as I have learnt something today :good: