Electric heating best and most efficient

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric heating best and most efficient

Post by Mike » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am

This thin film UFH system looks promising: http://www.ukwarmfloor.com/ can be laid under carpet? low voltage as well, have a look and post your thoughts (Vic) LOL.

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am
This thin film UFH system looks promising: http://www.ukwarmfloor.com/ can be laid under carpet? low voltage as well, have a look and post your thoughts (Vic) LOL.
Mike
A very quick look shows they quote the output as 7.8 W/ft (25.6 W/m) @ 68ºF (20ºC).
Output/length? is meaningless so I assume they mean per square unit although they do mention the width as being 34" so maybe it's per meter length of 34" wide stuff?
If they do mean this I'm struggling to see how 25.6W/M2 will heat a room given a yardstick for u/f heating would be in the 100-200 W/M2 region. It I understand them correctly I could heat my 50M2 lounge using only 1,280 watts which I patently can't.
They post a lot of stuff about it being self regulating but any u/f heating system where the surface temp. is near designed room temp. is because as the temp. difference reduces so does the output.
Not convinced on first reading so maybe I've missed something but interesting non the less. It's rare these days for companies to market complete pups so there must be something in it.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

All my electric UFH is 155w/m2 and its not really enough, its fine when the place is warmed through after a couple of days and when people use the thermostats sensibly but with renters that will turn the stats up to 40°c then open all the windows then switch it off on their departure its very hard to get the appartment back up to a comfortable temperature during the changeover time, I wish that I had 200 Watt/m2 mats but I bought a job lot of bankrupt stock.

I had considered the thin film ones available at the time but rejected them because they were very expensive, not powerfull enough (and now I realise that is very important) and unable to be trimmed and cut around edges, irregular areas etc.

I think all UFH mats are to a degree self regulating because they have a PTC thermistor (might be NTC) wired in series at the end of the loop to make sure the floor temperature does not go above the EU regulation limit.

The resistance of the heating mats increases with the length of the cable inside/the increase in area, as such without the PTC the smallest mats with the lowest resistance would consume the most electricity, overheat and burn out, its the thermistor that increases the resistance as the heat builds up in the mat, I can see this when I heat my cold abandoned UK pad for the first time in winter after a long absence, the thermostat may not cut out for the first 12 hours but the current consumption falls as soon as the floor structure is heated.

So I dont think any of their claims are revolutionary or hold water, and it would only be suitable for background heating to take the chill off a tiled floor.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Vic thanks for taking the time to look at it, I think it will served my purpose exactly as all I want to do is take the chill off a tiled floor when stepping out of a floor level shower tray, the main thing I like about this material is that can be trimmed for length and even nailed through (I don't know why I would want to do that), also its low voltage, 230v and water always make me a bit nervous, I think it will satisfy my criteria.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Okay - so simple question. Small "conservatory" - no heating at all right now. Post kitchen revamp I may have used table space for cupboards.... so the conservatory is looking like the best plan as "informal" dining shall we say (apparently watching TV and eating is bad .......) - no heating at all right now - bloody freezing once the sun sets or in Winter. Couldn't be bothered drilling pipes through a 1 metre wall when the kitchen was in bits and there's no space for UFH (the door clears a concrete floor by 4mm) - so electric is the only option.

Will only be heated when its in use - so buy a half decent wall mounted "inertia" or just bung up an old convector that's laying around. I've seen the small ceramic plug ins - they're just "weak" fan heaters or am I being cynical again - size is good on them but don't really want that dry blast which is never "comfy"? Don't mind spending 100'ish given its only 6 sq metres of floor space - there's bugger all insulation beyond double glazing - more wondering if I'll recoup the cash in elec savings or just bung the old one up and have done.