Getting rid of mice.

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Getting rid of mice.

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Not sure if this post is really about wildlife in France, but as there isn't a section for vermin in France this seemed the best alternative.

I don't know if it's just chez nous, but we've been bothered by far more mice this summer than ever before. I've put down those sachets of poison and the little sods seem to love 'em as they (the sachets) vanish with no sign of a mouse corpse anywhere, just their bloody droppings. In the past I have tried conventional mouse traps with no success. I read cheese isn't the best mouse trap bait as they prefer peanut butter so I gave 'em some of that - Waitrose's no less, but did they appreciate it? -no we had corpse-less traps with the bait intact.

As there has been no sign of any dead mice I don't know whether the poison sachets haven't been effective, or they have and there's an absolute army of the rodent twats employing wave tactics, forever sending replacements following the death of their comrades. I appreciate living in a rural location involves unwelcome animal visitors, but this summer it's worse than usual and shows no sign of stopping.

Does anybody have any ideas please how we can control the little buggers?

Syd.
Last edited by CRAZY DIAMOND on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Spotty

Re: Getting rid of mice.

Post by Spotty »

You need 3 cats.One will be asleep, one not about & the other doing its job.
We've got 3 & I still had to shoot a rat yesterday that was out with the chooks :roll:

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

What, Waitrose's peanut butter wasn’t good enough? Shock horror!

I’ve read that mice love chocolate, don’t know if they’re as fussy about the % of cocoa solids as my husband though 😀

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

We use a combination of crunchy peanut butter in old fashioned traps and ultrasonic rodent repeler machines. Reasonable success, not a single nuiscible all summer. Moles on the other hand are rife. I've tried conventional traps and two different kinds of explosive devices and gas down the tunnels from a tractor exhaust. I even phoned a pro mole catcher as a last resort. His fee was eye watering so I said no thankyou
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Yes, I have a detauper. Must have spent nearly €100 on recharges for it this year. :(

Jacko19

Post by Jacko19 »

The few mice we have had seem to fall easily for the conventional traps. Would love to have moles but they would have to be very rugged as we have at most about 3 inches of soil on top of rock!

Tom

Post by Tom »

https://www.jcehrlich.com/mice/myth-bus ... epellents/

This is an advertising article from an American mouse control company but it does contain some useful information. Steel wool seems to be one of the few things mice can't chew through. They managed to get into the boot of our Micra and demolished a Lidl thermal bag. How they got in and out is still a mystery.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Hi
Whats the problem with spring traps no takers or just eating the bait and not triggering the trap

Sorry just reread your post in the past mature Cheddar left out to dry for a few days has always worked as a bait for mice and rats

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

They like Rowntrees fruit jellies. I know cause several packets in our barn (where we store other foodstuffs) were nibbled and had to be thrown away. I think it was the strawberry flavour they went for. After the second lot were nibbled I now have to keep the jellies in the house. However, I then put the mouse traps with poison next to the jellies. No more mices!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

A friend of mine discovered that mice are quite partial to a Mercedes wiring loom.