Who to sue?

Joinfrance

Who to sue?

Post by Joinfrance » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 pm

don’t know where to post this, and couldn’t think of a title.k
For the last 8years I have lived in my little house in a quiet backwater, just getting on with things. During all this time there has been a semi derelict manoir next door. A few years ago the commune compulsorily purchased it, because trees in the grounds had started to fall across the road, and tiles were falling off the roof etc.
At the beginning of July they started to ‘make it safe’. At least that’s what we were told. Now I find that it is destined to become a top flight hotel and restaurant at best and at worst a nightclub.
Already the Mairie have put a no parking sign in front of my house, and there is scaffolding close enough to touch just outside my front door, and new bathroom window!
As well, EDF have attached a large electric junction box to the downspout of my house without me knowledge or consent. Repeated calls and emails to them have drawn a blank.
When I talk to the Maire, he just laughs at me and says stuff like ‘this is France, not England. Deal with it!’ Even today!
A friend visiting this weekend has said I have some rights and I need to see a solicitor for advice. She is a cheminotte and militant, so I am sure she is correct.
I am at the end of my tether. My level of French is good, so I don’t need an English speaker, but any INFORMED advice or ideas of where to turn would be appreciated.
I need to deal with my CDeS before I tackle this, but it needs to be done soonish, because this last week has been awful. I can’t cope with it for the next year or more...

mysty

Re: Who to sue?

Post by mysty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:17 pm

In my opinion you cannot sue anyone. Obviously not what you want to hear. You could object to the planning applucation but I cannot see that going down well and will not stop it.
It's a risk you have when you have neighbours or live in a village. It would cost you 1000s in fees and it would be lost money.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Oh you poor thing - I agree with Mysty - you are on a hiding to nothing. From what I have seen and know about from things similar (which is not a great deal ) over the years you are stuffed. As I understand it you have no rights, therefore you cannot sue. If you are going up against the local authorities - I would give a cat in a freezer a better chance. - Feeling for you :shock:
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:28 pm

In a similar situation, "tough luck, c'est comme ça, what are you going to do about it, you are not in england now etc I had to look for what was the Maires weakness, it was a pathological fear of the local media, they themselves love him because each time he opens his mouth he shoots himself in the foot.

I got them involved, let him know that I was going to protest at the inauguaration of the works in my road which I had an invitation to, had the T shirt printed and let the 1ière adjoint see it, got the paper to contact him for a comment before the event and everything miraculously was resolved the day before, they still ran the story of my non protest which went down like a lead balloon, the battle may have been won but not the war and I regularly pay the price.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Advertise your house as chambres d'hôtes with a 'top flight restaurant across the road' at a room rate significantly less than the 'top flight hotel' will be charging?

AlexV

Post by AlexV » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 am

Hi Jo,
with any luck, the authorities will see sense and realise that their grandiose plans to make a silk purse from a sow's ear would be a waste of time and money. A top-flight hotel? A nightclub? In your quiet little backwater? Even if the mairie thought it might be viable, who would take it on, what would be the market for it and how long before it became derelict once again?

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:45 am

Not that quiet being so close to Tulle (3 or 4 kms ?) and which is lacking a good new hotel. Having said that, I am sorry to hear of the possible disruption to you Jo if it goes ahead. Do you know if they have the finance in place?

I know if one old village that did something very similar and it really is remote. As far as I know, it is actually doing very well.
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:57 pm

You may find it’s worth talking to some local estate agents for their views.

Our house was originally renovated by the commune with the objective to become a museum - god knows why as we’re in the middle of the countryside. However, a notary, described as somewhat unscrupulous and since in jail, persuaded the commune to sell it to another English couple as a residence. All the structural work had been completed and paid for by the commune. The English family then configured the interior.

You may find that an estate agent may be interested to take a property off of the communes hands after the commune has paid most of the costs!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Communes are very good at raising money to renovate derelict properties create commerces and tourisme, no matter how obviously uneconomic the project they will get free money from public funds to spend millions on something that would only bring in peanuts if it were given away and run for free by volunteers.

What they are terrible at is exploiting the renovated property, there will eventually be an appel for candidate to lease the place for a sum that will guarantee no takers together with really stupid operating conditions.

A complete waste of money but it does get property renovated but only to stand empty for decades until finally being sold for peanuts to people like myself, I have my eyes on several and have expressed my interest but it will be decades for most of them before the communes finally accept they have wasted the public money.

Jo. You will probably have to put up with the disruption of the renovation works but can be fairly confident that after that you can live in peace in an improved area.

Dogrose

Post by Dogrose » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:58 pm

There is probably nothing you can do about an EDF temporary junction box - they can put them anywhere they like it seems.

As for the rest, what is in the planning permission? Ask to see a copy at your Marie, and the local plan to work out what that land is zoned for. Don't start agitating until you know the facts, as could be totally different from rumour. Who knows, perhaps it'll end up as an old person's home with facilities you can use.