Edible Dormouse - (Loir - Glis glis)

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Doug

Re: Edible Dormouse - (Loir - Glis glis)

Post by Doug »

Protected or not the little buggers are a nuisance as they will eat into electric cables/gaine in the loft, my first property here was infested with them and on first going up into the loft found a number which had electrocuted themselves by eating into cables, its a wonder that the property hadn't burnt down.
Needless to say I poisoned the lot.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have just seen my unwanted tenant, he has got into the ceiling voids and has made his way around the insulation cavity behind the placo, found where he had broken through into the lounge and behind the kitchen units but not where ha had found access into the workshop where he has started on my end of the world stockpile of Noz muesli :D

I heard a squeaking and scratching, then saw the biggest longest rats tail ever in my life hanging down temptingly in reach between shelves, I was hoping that I had one of those pick up screw tools to grab it but they are in the UK, had to put on a leather glove and make a grab for it, shaking like a leaf because no bull***t I could not even see the body but the part of the tail I could see was 12" long and as thick as a pencil :shock: , he heard me and got back through the hole he had made, at least I know most of his access points now. I hope the squeaking was distress because he had eaten some of the rodonticide that i put out this morning, just weighed it, none missing :(

I have left his openeing clear into the lounge and under the kitchen units with bait just beyond them, the hole into the workshop I plugged with a bait bag and then sealed with expanding foam glue, he can get back through it but will have to chew his way through the bait first, I hope it makes him hungry.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Caught a little blighter yesterday in a rat trap with soft cheese bait.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Jay wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 am
Caught a little blighter yesterday in a rat trap with soft cheese bait.
Normally there is a wife and kids. I would leave the trap for a bit just to be sure.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

george

Post by george »

Poison isn't a great idea because they can die behind the walls and stink up the house

My neighbour trapped large numbers with a trap about the size of a cat transporter, he used fruit as bait

I was pestered with them for a couple of years until an owl moved into the roof and I never heard them after that. The scent of a predator works really well if you are lucky enough to get the right predator.
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

george wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm
Poison isn't a great idea because they can die behind the walls and stink up the house

My neighbour trapped large numbers with a trap about the size of a cat transporter, he used fruit as bait

I was pestered with them for a couple of years until an owl moved into the roof and I never heard them after that. The scent of a predator works really well if you are lucky enough to get the right predator.
So now the roof is full of owl sh1t and owl pellets instead of loir sh1t? :o
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

george

Post by george »

Fitter wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm
george wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm

So now the roof is full of owl sh1t and owl pellets instead of loir sh1t? :o
No, the owl is long gone, she came back once to raise another young but never saw them after that
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

Ally

Post by Ally »

Everybody needs a hobby.
I keep a rocking horse and some teddy bears in my loft. No sh1t!

Jay

Post by Jay »

No 2 was caught by next doors cat. I've left the traps there just in case but no nocturnal noises now so suspect that is the last of them.