Edible Dormouse - (Loir - Glis glis)

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Jay

Edible Dormouse - (Loir - Glis glis)

Post by Jay »

They are back!

Had a couple of these a year or so ago and we got rid with one of those electronic gizmos but it took a while. They are now living in the roof space just above our bedroom so we are trying the electronic device again but would prefer a quick and effective trap. Will the large mouse/rat trap work on these noisy little b's and if so what kind of bait?

jsks

Re: Edible Dormouse - (Loir - Glis glis)

Post by jsks »

We had great success with peanut butter in a rat trap. Standard mousetraps are a bit too delicate.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Chocolate.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Peanut butter and Chocolate, they certainly have good taste! Thanks for the info.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Yo jay you are not allowed to kill them. I am sure they are protected in France. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

yonner

Post by yonner »

Nutella!!
I have to stop myself from licking the spoon after I've baited the trap.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Yeah Mysty I'm not going to kill them I'm just putting a trap down for a rat I seen in the barn. It would be very unfortunate if a Loir got caught in it :twisted: . I've purchased a humane trap from Amazon https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B071FS ... UTF8&psc=1 which should be here next few days then I will remove the rat trap.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

I'm told dormice come in to nest in August.

As a deterrent you can throw some mothballs around the loft space but you have to make sure they contain naphthalene (banned in Europe I believe but available on ebay). These mothballs won't stop them from coming in but they will stop them from staying.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have not a loire but one or more rat de greniers which may be what the OP has, they make a lot of noise, I actually saw the previous one, got rid of the problem or so I thought with some appats mais & avoine, I just sprinkled it around under the kitchen units where I had seen him coming out.

Then I read that you must not open the sachets and people (french) tell me in the strongest terms that I mustn't but of course dont know why :roll:

Now clearly they are capable of chewing through the this plastic, they opened up the caisson on my VMC like a demented dremel and have got into a tetrapack of Miso soup, through the plastic lid of a parmesan tin and through the plastic bag of muesli but they are turning their noses up at the appats in their sealed pouches.

Can anyone tell me why they should not be opened? Is it just for the safety of children or pets or are the rats méfiant if you do so?

One French guy said they would smell my odour on the bait which sound like "lets just make something up" because the bags will be handled but I avoid touching the bait, maybe they only want fresh unopened food and are also checking the DLC dates :lol:

Jay

Post by Jay »

No it is definitely loirs (2 of them) as I have put a security camera (the one they chewed up the lead to) in the garage and seen them walking around last night.

Used mothballs off ebay last time we had them and it was either them or the electronic gizmo that got rid of them. They were in the Gite that time and a bit smelly. Forgot how bad real mothballs smell!