His name is cracpot but he is not a total cracpot cheap fuel

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

His name is cracpot but he is not a total cracpot cheap fuel

Post by mysty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Cracpot posted yesterday he drove to Spain for shopping and fuel. The fuel was a lot cheaper than it is in France. Yesterday mike posted somewhere that they thought the costs in France were high now (that might not have been his exact words). Has it got that bad here, I know the tax fonciers have gone silly since we first came here, I think our first one was like £30 but it was francs back then. I see another is off to Spain. Would you consider the move if you sold. I still like France we looked at Portugal a few years ago but I thought it was grubby and I normally have the final say anyway on where we are going. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

DominicBest

Re: His name is cracpot but he not not a total cracpot cheap fuel

Post by DominicBest » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I read that someone thought that France has got really expensive. The only difference that I’ve noticed is the exchange rate between my income in pounds and the euros I need. That would be exactly the same in Spain.

alittlebitfrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: His name is cracpot but he is not a total cracpot cheap fuel

Post by alittlebitfrench » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm

No is the answer to your question.

You either want to live in France or Spain. I don't get those who go onto forums who say 'we are considering France or Spain'. 'What do think we should do ??

France and Spain are so diverse to a point that you are generalising when you say France or Spain anyway.

I want to live where I want to live. If that means growing my own and riding a bike then so be it. I would rather be poor in France than rich in Spain. Some might prefer to be poor in Spain than rich in France.

For me, money does not come into this debate.

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Too 'ot !

Specsavers1

Post by Specsavers1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Best of both worlds,reside in France and if you are close enough to Spain to pick up a few bargains the it makes sense. 🙁
I know I want to be in France but I want to visit other surrounding countries just to see other lifestyles and food.
Spain is on my list but too far to pop over for the odd shop.

alteza

Post by alteza » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:31 pm

We go to Italy at least twice per month. The food is cheaper in the supermarkets, clothes are less expensive and "made in Italy", plus a night out ( restaurants & bars ) is way more cheaper with better quality and a more hospitable service.. The locals also run rings around the French in being approachable and willing to communicate.

CelticRambler

Post by CelticRambler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 pm

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm
You either want to live in France or Spain. I don't get those who go onto forums who say 'we are considering France or Spain'. 'What do think we should do ??

France and Spain are so diverse to a point that you are generalising when you say France or Spain anyway.
There's something we agree on! There are plenty of parts of France I wouldn't want to live in, so I get narky with those threads too, as if the Touraine could be compared with Flandres or Provence or Alsace or the Pays Basque. I don't understand why anyone considering a major change of lifestyle wouldn't get on a boat/plane and visit their dream destination for real instead of asking about it in the vagues terms on the internet.

FWIW, I get equally narked with people posting (on another forum) "where should I go for my honeymoon ... ? " :evil: )
alittlebitfrench wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm
For me, money does not come into this debate.
Nor for me, other than to the extent that the cost and availability of suitable propery is better here than in Ireland for my preferred lifestyle.

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm

We moved to France in 1999 after 19 years in Spain, but stayed officially resident in Spain until 2003, when we were forced to choose, and to declare ourselves French residents by making a tax return here. So we have had 23 years in Spain and 19 in France, although we have owned properties here since 1991, but have still not yet managed to sever all connections, especially as we get approx 50% of our pensions from Spain.

For many reasons we have finally (I think) decided that France is a better choice for us, in spite of being tempted from time to time to move back.

I tried to explain some of the reasons to AnO but he accused me of being bitter and twisted and out of date, although we still deal with the authorities there all the time.

So I deleted my remarks and observations and will make no further comments on the subject. ;)

mysty

Post by mysty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Nomoss we stayed a few months in Spain but found it too hot, It was August. I like the sun but I was melting.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:50 pm

You can't simply say "Spain is hot", It depends where you go. The South is quite hot, unless you go somewhere in the mountains. The North is probably colder than S France, especially the NW.

We lived in Mallorca, where we rarely had more than 30º and always a cooling effect from the sea.

After many years in the Far East it seemd nice and cool :)
Last edited by Nomoss on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.