Mobile phone texts.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Mobile phone texts.

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Until this morning I thought the above were instantaneous i.e. you typed your message, pressed send and hey presto it arrived at the recipient's phone almost immediately. However, this morning we found out differently as a text our son had sent last night around 9pm UK time, only came through sometime this morning. His text was a reply to one my wife sent yesterday afternoon and as she was anxious for his response she checked her mobile before going to bed after midnight and there was definitely nothing.

The incoming text said "Message centre", then our son's mobile number followed by his message. Can somebody please explain in layman's terms why the delay on this occasion? It may well have happened in the past, but we didn't notice. Furthermore, if we need to transmit an urgent message, to avoid a similar delay, would we be better making a conventional phone call, or is there a way to ensure a text isn't hanging around for hours in cyber space? I appreciate it's academic, but is there a way of finding out the actual time our son's text arrived? There was nothing to indicate this on the incoming message.

Bon weekend,

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Annabelle's Papa

Re: Mobile phone texts.

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

This happens quite a lot in reality, I would suggest using WhatsApp, firstly it is free, you can call, message and even video call.
You get a tick when your message is sent and second tick appears when it is read, if you want to know when the person last looked at WhatsApp it shows you under their name at the centre top of the screen. It uses either wifi or mobile data.

Hope that helps !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Are you or the sender using a phone provider sim card outside of the home country ie roaming? That can cause delays.

Network breakdowns aside the only time in France when there will be a delay is the first 12 hours of new years day.

Returned from UK with Eurotunnel last night and for the first time ever my UK mobile did not recieve the roaming message, pretty sure the French one usually sparks up message as well, this time silence which meant I was still asleep when debarquement commenced, cars behind klaxoning etc :oops:

Mike

Post by Mike »

If you have an need to contact someone urgently, there is a useful app on your mobile called a telephone, usually its a little green icon in the bottom left corner, communication is instantaneous.

Mike

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am
This happens quite a lot in reality, I would suggest using WhatsApp, firstly it is free, you can call, message and even video call.
You get a tick when your message is sent and second tick appears when it is read, if you want to know when the person last looked at WhatsApp it shows you under their name at the centre top of the screen. It uses either wifi or mobile data.

Hope that helps !
Whats App message ticks are:
one grey tick = message sent
two grey ticks = message received
two blue ticks = message read

Doug

Post by Doug »

The wife and I only text when she is back in the uk visiting kids and grandkids, we both have our mobiles set up to tell us that our text has been received. Yes sometimes it takes a time but most of the time its immediate, just like talking to each other, in the morning when its "good morning lover, did you have a good night"

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

No apps on my phone, it can be switched off for months without losing charge, I can switch it on and instantly make a call or text, I can then continue to use it for a week or more without charging.

But hey it is 14 years old so after constant pressure from others I got a smartphone and naively thought that it would do the above but better with all the advances in technology. - silly me :oops:

So its related to taking credit card bookings and use as a hand held computer and for that it is superb, what actually killed it for me was to find out that to make or recieve a call meant using an app :roll:

Had it a year now, made one call with it but someone had to show me how, recieved 3 calls which I could not even answer until someone showed me how, by then my fingertip was bruised, made a couple of texts when I was hospitalised, it was usefull then though for internet access.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Chancer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 pm
............... it was usefull then though for internet access.
As long as you hold the phone in one hand and a magnifying glass in the other.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hez

Post by hez »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

Hope that helps !
We have individual groups set up for family and friends on Whatsapp, use it all the time. One tick its sent, two its arrived, goes blue its been read. Same on facebook messenger but I dont use that so much. I receive lots of pics and vids when I am away from them. Its a joy ☺ xx

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Thanks everybody for the useful replies, and yours Mike. Maybe I should have said initially that my wife's phone is a UK-sourced very basic 10 sovs Nokia with a UK sim card. Basic does mean basic - no camera, no apps, just a screen to display incoming and outgoing call info, none of this internet malarkey.

If the sim card was changed for a French one, would that ensure there would be no more delayed texts, or could it still happen?

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.