What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Le Démerdeur »

What pleased me today (yesterday now) was using yet another friendly one man business who provides a great service at an unbeatable price and who goes the extra mile, it wont surprise you to know that I am in the UK not Picardie nor that yet again it was a foreign national who went out of his way for me.

It was to get a second key cut for my new car but more importantly getting the RFID chip coded to the vehicle, £250 + from VAG plus 10 days for the key and a morning with the vehicle in their workshop.

£90 and 30 minutes from Mariusz and done on a Sunday afternoon which was really good for me as driving while blind in one eye is challenging and through the centre of London not what I wanted to do on any other day.

When I rebuilt the vehicle (it was an insurance write off) all the businesses that supplied me the best value parts & services turned out to be run by Polish or other Eastern Europeans.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

suein56 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:45 am
Unexpected visitor ..
Since yesterday we have a very small wild rabbit who seems to have adopted us/our garden as his home.
OH and I were a tad concerned yesterday when this scrap of a rabbit was first noticed in our garden, as he/she was so very small.
But, today this scrap of fur and ears, has appeared again and stayed a lot longer than yesterday.
Saturday he/she was about for approx 4 hours but today he/she was about and active from 11 til nearly 7 this evening .. perhaps he is getting used to the birds around, above, on the bird house and to the noises in the garden ?
Hopefully he/she will appear again tomorrow, but if he/she doesn't then his/her few hours of activity during the last 2 days have been incredible to have witnessed.
OH and I have been conscious of picking up the binoculars frequently when passing through the kitchen .. just in case he/she is in view and active in our garden.
We think we are so very privileged to have witnessed this appearance in our garden 😊
I would be watching avidly too Sue, safe in the knowledge that our gentle Setter wouldn't trouble it, but the cats who regularly trail through our garden looking for prey are another matter. :(

What pleased me was, as I emerged from the forest into the field yesterday Tosca, as always, paused for a treat before running off and, before I give it, I always scan the field for wildlife. Sometimes there are deer who, on spotting us stare for a few moments before running at speed. Tosca can't see them at that distance, and anyway would ignore them, but they don't know that.

But yesterday there were 2 of them 100 metres away lying down but with heads erect looking in our direction. I froze, enjoying the scene but eventually had to give Tosca her treat. I moved my hand very slowly but, as soon as she got it she was off. Not in their direction of course but the movement was almost too much for them. I say almost because there was no panic this time, first one stood up still watching us, then the other, quite calmly before they both moved off to the trees at a gentle walking pace. I was pleased not to have alarmed them and wondered if they were starting to trust us. Then a darker thought. Will the next human they trust set the dogs on them or shoot them? :evil: So maybe they would be better off fearing us. :(

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

It's not raining.....yet!

The first frogspawn has appeared in the pond and Mrs Blackbird was sitting on the post at the end of the raspberries with a beak full of nesting material. She disappeared into the hedge, a handy nesting place for grabbing a quick snack of berries. I can live with sharing the rasps but the strawberries will be netted, they are mine, all mine!

Veem

Post by Veem »

It hasn't rained today, as of yet. Great.

If someone could invent a horse rug which puts itself on and off automatically, they'd make a fortune off me alone. They are so heavy when they're wet - especially if, as I seem to do frequently, you find yourself standing on a leg strap or a surcingle just as you try to chuck the rug over the horse's back .......

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I’m very pleased that our son cut back our big apple tree today, so quite a bit is on the lawn underneath - I think he gets carried away once he’s climbed right up there. I’d been hoping that he would be able to fit it in before the leaves open, everything is sprouting s fast now.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Spardo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 am
suein56 wrote:
Unexpected visitor ..
Since yesterday we have a very small wild rabbit who seems to have adopted us/our garden as his home.
OH and I were a tad concerned yesterday when this scrap of a rabbit was first noticed in our garden, as he/she was so very small.
But, today this scrap of fur and ears, has appeared again and stayed a lot longer than yesterday.
Saturday he/she was about for approx 4 hours but today he/she was about and active from 11 til nearly 7 this evening .. perhaps he is getting used to the birds around, above, on the bird house and to the noises in the garden ?
Hopefully he/she will appear again tomorrow, but if he/she doesn't then his/her few hours of activity during the last 2 days have been incredible to have witnessed.
OH and I have been conscious of picking up the binoculars frequently when passing through the kitchen .. just in case he/she is in view and active in our garden.
We think we are so very privileged to have witnessed this appearance in our garden 😊
I would be watching avidly too Sue, safe in the knowledge that our gentle Setter wouldn't trouble it, but the cats who regularly trail through our garden looking for prey are another matter. :(

What pleased me was, as I emerged from the forest into the field yesterday Tosca, as always, paused for a treat before running off and, before I give it, I always scan the field for wildlife. Sometimes there are deer who, on spotting us stare for a few moments before running at speed. Tosca can't see them at that distance, and anyway would ignore them, but they don't know that.

But yesterday there were 2 of them 100 metres away lying down but with heads erect looking in our direction. I froze, enjoying the scene but eventually had to give Tosca her treat. I moved my hand very slowly but, as soon as she got it she was off. Not in their direction of course but the movement was almost too much for them. I say almost because there was no panic this time, first one stood up still watching us, then the other, quite calmly before they both moved off to the trees at a gentle walking pace. I was pleased not to have alarmed them and wondered if they were starting to trust us. Then a darker thought. Will the next human they trust set the dogs on them or shoot them? :evil: So maybe they would be better off fearing us. :(
Lovely posts from you both and isnt it sad that those of use who love nature are worried about others. We have a couple here in the village who have two dogs. Never on the lead (cars come quite fastdownhill throught the village). This morning I happened to open the bedroom shutters, the dogs had been let out, no-one was near the road supervising them - they were running in the wooded copse and all over the road - I watched this for 15 mins before one of the "owners" arrived. Next time I see them - they will get a mouthful. - This could be a dog who kills little bunnies etc cause not under control
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

ajm

Post by ajm »

suein56 wrote:
Unexpected visitor ..
I too love wild animals but when it comes to rabbits in the garden - that's too much. If you would like to have some more you can have ours - with pleasure ;)
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

bubbles1 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm
This could be a dog who kills little bunnies etc cause not under control
And we can't have nature red in tooth and claw, can we? "Little bunnies"...they are not sentimental objects, fgs. :roll:
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

suein56

Post by suein56 »

ajm wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:42 pm
I too love wild animals but when it comes to rabbits in the garden - that's too much. If you would like to have some more you can have ours - with pleasure ;)
Ah .. perhaps not 😉 .. whilst we adored having one small, defenceless bunny over the weekend, I'm not sure OH would be thrilled to support a multitude in our garden.
We really don't mind sharing our rasps with the blackbirds etc .. we accept the loss of the odd strawberry to the ravening horde .. and the odd nibbled carrot doesn't throw us but ...
Today small bunny didn't appear 😞 .. we are hoping that today's rain discouraged him/her but, if this proves the end of the delightful visits then so be it .. it has been a delight these last 2 days.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 pm
bubbles1 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm
This could be a dog who kills little bunnies etc cause not under control
And we can't have nature red in tooth and claw, can we? "Little bunnies"...they are not sentimental objects, fgs. :roll:
I love nature and the food chain - see some of it in the woods I frequent and my tiny garden - rabbit with white wine and mustard sauce is one of my fav things to eat - no not a softy at all ;)
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it