What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Joinfrance

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Joinfrance »

What has pleased me? Being able to write the above...

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Joinfrance wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:07 pm
Thé 2000 calorie is a minimum to keep you alive. You can do NOTHING all day and still burn that amount. I have spent most of today slobbing about doing not very much, so have probably burnt that plus a tiny bit more...
Depends on your height, weight and sex, my daily resting calorie consumption is 1850, a womans would be probably 500 cals less. I have a ballerina friend whose resting consumption is really low yet her active calories are really impressive, when we run together she works harder than me to keep up but burns significantly less calories - females are usually more efficient.

On a day when I really do nothing other than slob around its around 2300 calories hence my comment that an average for a man of 2500 calories must represent a really sedentary lifestyle.

I have already burned 2700 today, have 2 changeovers to do before this evening and will probably finish the day at 4000.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

It stopped raining by the time we got the the restaurant so I didnt get wet!
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

Found a chicken nest in our veg plot,with about twenty eggs....I wondered why my new chickens were not laying....Omelette for Tea,breaki and dinner. :good:
London Irish.

Ally

Post by Ally »

New battery, charge port, screen and protective screen on an iPhone 5. £43. What's not to be happy about. Well done Reginald Molehusband, just a pity you let it happen in the first place.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

This remarkable piece of writing, pinched from OH's Facebook page: how I wish to be this eloquent!

Someone on Quora asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote this magnificent response.

A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.

:good: Amen to that! :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys »

EXCELLENT!!! :good: :good: :good:

Tom

Post by Tom »

:lol: We should applaud the great and unmatched wisdom of this article.
“The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other milk."
—Ogden Nash

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys »

Well she certainly put the dick-head, prehistoric presenter in his place!