A place for some light-hearted chat.
rabbit

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by rabbit »

why me? wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:52 pm
rabbit wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:02 pm
Ordered 4 boxes of PG tips from Amazon France ,about 960 teabags for less than 12€ and they arrived in 24 hrs and were shipped from France
Any chance of a link to that as I can't find any anywhere near that price?
I'll soon need to replenish my stock & it would save my missus lugging 'em back from UK when she travels without her car.
Apologies it was a typo 28€ but that still compares well with UK prices and saves a lot of boot space!

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

Just received :good: 485 Yorkshire Tea Bags from My mate ....Cost 11.5c Euros,straight off the Ferry...Cheers Rob!
London Irish.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Went to see my surgeon regaarding the "leg". He is really pleased. He did not do the surgery by the way. He said it is superb my putting my knee flat on the bed is 0 % which is brill and I have achieved 100 degree bend , more than anyone thought. He is well pleased. All that hard work (which is continuing) paid off. Next appointment in a year - YES :good: :good: :good:
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Excellent Bubbles, I have seen too many people who didn’t put the effort in and couldn’t understand why they didn’t get the end result they expected.We have an orthopaedic physio who is a bastard and receives many complaints but his end results speak for themselves

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 pm
Excellent Bubbles, I have seen too many people who didn’t put the effort in and couldn’t understand why they didn’t get the end result they expected.We have an orthopaedic physio who is a bastard and receives many complaints but his end results speak for themselves
I agree - luckily mine is brilliant and funny but serious at the same time. But even if he was totally objectionable and got me there I would go with it. After all it is for me. Plus they know if you are not putting the work in at home - they are not stupid -thank goodness Lets face it they are not going to be your best friend are they !!!!!!!! They are doing a job.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I went on a group walk from Vers Pont du Gard, following paths in the garrigue around some of the quarries where the Romans took stone for building the Pont du Gard. It was a lovely afternoon, sunny but not too hot.

I’ve walked 15,000+ steps today, 10km. Not nearly as good as Le Démerdeur runs, but I’m pleased to be able to walk so much more these days.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I am beginning to realise just how sedentary most peoples lives are today, I know my watch tracking is accurate because on a complete rest slob out day I can get below the 2500 average calorie consumption and my steps dont reach anywhere near the 10k target but my average calorie consumption (burnt not eaten) is 3500 per day including the rest days, usual active days are around 4000 up to a maximum of 7500 calories.

Even when I am not running I frequently exceed 15000 steps and can exceed 10000 without even leaving the building, last week when working on the car in the UK I had no stairs to climb and walked a maximum of 7 meters from the dwelling to the garage, another 5 metres within and a further 4 metres to where the car was parked under shelter, yet I clocked up 12838 steps that day (10.52km) and burned 4423 calories, I think its about how fast you move around and how high your heartbeat goes, mine is very low at rest but can shoot up when doing what to me is not exercise but everyday tasks like the changeovers and cleaning.

Today was very sedentary, no changeovers only walked as far as the car then from where I parked to the hôtel des impôts, into a couple of shops etc then home but have still done 6127 steps and 4km, will be around 2600 calories by midnight.

Just how sedentary does someone have to be to burn the average 2500kcals for a man or 2000 for a woman? Surely they must have been much higher in the past when people did not have cars and sit behind computers all day?
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Every Autumn for several years I worked with a class of 9 and 10 years old who recorded their steps for a whole month using pedometers. Every day their figures were uploaded to a database along with children from other schools, I can’t remember the name of the project. The idea behind it was to get children more active and it worked. Each child would set their own targets and for most of them these became quite challenging. The knock on effect was that parents, siblings and friends got roped in as well. It was interesting to see how a little focus could change the children’s attitude to exercise.

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

Upped my Speed march to six K....No problem.
London Irish.

Tom

Post by Tom »

“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle