What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Aardvark wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:02 am
I successfully returned a couple of CDs. One was very badly distorted and unplayable, the other turned out to be an empty case. Instead of being glared at and suspected of trying to pull a fast one, I received an apology with smiles and the option to choose replacements. I supposed it made a difference that it was an English run charity shop.
You're on the money there. I've never come across many charity shops in France and wonder why. Sure there are the Emmaüs depots, but they're not really charity shops. Whenever we go to England I always swing by the charity shops and stock up with paperbacks usually at a sov a pop. On occasions I've returned these to the same shop which may be the ultimate in recycling. Last trip, in addition to paperbacks I bought some CDs at 99 pence each and few years ago a blinding, almost new sheepskin coat for £12.99. Do wish I could do the same over here.

Bon weekend,

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Not today, last night actually. It was the first episode of the latest series of BBC's Ambulance and as usual superb. We were filled with admiration for the crews and their support staff (despatchers?) who remained calm at all times despite sometimes hysterical callers. Most of these seem unbelievably young, but nevertheless full of compassion and understanding for the people they're called out to help, many of whom have mental and drug problems. In last night's episode a young lady gave birth in a hotel room to a baby. Fair enough, nowt special there, but she didn't realise she was pregnant, especially after a pregnancy test that morning had indicated negative. Truly superb television. If you can, watch it on catch up, though I think last night's episode may be repeated. This did happen with the last series.
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Today I managed to balance 24 parpaing on top of each other & I've not been on a ferry for years !

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

Spotty wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:34 pm
Today I managed to balance 24 parpaing on top of each other & I've not been on a ferry for years !
So? If you could do it end on end I'd be impressed :lol:

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

My husband’s new specs were finally ready for collection today.

They were promised for last Saturday. Apparently we were unreasonable to expect them on the promised day, as there was a BH on Friday, and even more unreasonable to expect them on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday because there was another BH on Monday.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Should have gone to... whatever the place I bought mine in Bordeaux at the beginning of the month is called. They said ten days but they were ready in less than a week.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Not being disappointed by the BBC. I submitted a complaint last week and fully expected it to be dismissed. They didn't disappoint. It was.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Gardengirl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 pm

They were promised for last Saturday. Apparently we were unreasonable to expect them on the promised day, as there was a BH on Friday, and even more unreasonable to expect them on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday because there was another BH on Monday.
Should have gone to...

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

jsks wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 am
Gardengirl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Should have gone to...
😄

We both tried that once to save on our outgoings, but their top of the range lenses were’t nearly as good as our second from top of the range Zeiss lenses at our local opticians. Plus a lens kept falling out of both pairs of my specs, meaning countless visits to Reading Specsavers, a big nuisance.

Progress report: my husband is delighted with his new distance specs; he can see brilliantly clearly, so we’re now all set for the long drive back to our place in France next weekend, the first time we’ll have driven for 18+ months, been using Eurostar and BA/Easyjet during that time.