What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Gardengirl

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Gardengirl »

Not coming across any gilets jaunes on our way to Marseille airport; there have been hold ups on Saturdays at various roundabouts, including one local one on our route, preventing people from going shopping at the big Carrefour and other businesses. We set out a bit earlier than normal just in case.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

About 6 weeks ago a chainsaw took a deep chunk out of the tip of my LH index finger & it's been really hurty since then.
Today for the first time since my stupid accident I've managed a plonk on a couple of my guitars without crying. :lol:

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

vic evans wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm
About 6 weeks ago a chainsaw took a deep chunk out of the tip of my LH index finger & it's been really hurty since then.
Today for the first time since my stupid accident I've managed a plonk on a couple of my guitars without crying. :lol:
Big brave boy medal in the post :D

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Heard first Cuckoo of the season this afternoon - 6 days late! Normally the 18th when they reach us.
The frog chorus had their first little practice last night and are in good voice tonight - only the Nightingales and Golden Orioles missing for the complete summer soundscape. :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Spotty wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:33 pm
vic evans wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm
Big brave boy medal in the post :D
A similar thing happened to me a year ago with some inattention on the table saw, wound became red and festering and then my usual horse like immune system took over and it healed without a trace, maybe 6 weeks later I got soaking wet in freezing weather on the running track, the next day I thought I had a cold or flu, no surprise there, 4 days later I was in hospital with advanced sepsis and 25% survival odds.

Normally it gets a hold immediately and they can see the entry wound, if you have a very strong immune system you can knock back the infection but not eredicate it, like my malaria it can remain at an undetectable level to become febrile when your resistance is compromised.

My advice to you is to keep a close eye on how you feel and to "listen to your body" dont hesitate to go the the médecin or les urgences and dont be fobbed off if it feels unlike any previous illness, insist on blood tests and follow them up, I nearly died because the lab did not return the results to the maison medicale for 48 hours.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

If you have an infection site, a wound that has healed over too quickly, a boil, an abcess, a splinter that you can't get out and is suppurating, for example, to draw out the infection use an old-style concoction called Morrison's paste. It's anhydrous magnesium sulphate made into a paste with oil.
It comes in a little pot, about 25 grams I think. Smear some of the paste on a gauze pad and strap it on the wound, renew twice daily. It will draw the infection out.
I see the recipe on this product uses glycerol instead of oil (presumably paraffin oil as in the old liquid paraffin)

Also, when the wound is open, tea tree oil is a very good natural antibiotic, antiviral, anti-fungal.

Tried to post a link to Magnesium-Sulphate-Paste from amazon but it won't work.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

Fortunately I don't appear to have any infection. It was a wide open jagged mess complete with bits of glove & greasy sawdust. It bled like a stuck pig whilst I carefully tweezed out the rubbish & trimmed up the cut. I washed it out, applied an antiseptic & redid the dressing twice per day for a week or so until it had started to heal up when I used a gauze dressing covered by a cut off surgical glove finger to keep it clean. Seems fine now although the nerve endings are a little tender.
My wife spent a couple of weeks on a drip in hospital after suffering sepsis following a cut hand whilst gardening so she nagged the hell out of me to keep my wound clean. :D
Always amazes me how nature can rebuild a jagged hole in a body to what it was before.

After the Storm

Whenever, Mysty has done something, I have to battle for way too long to see if it is bad. One time it was very bad, he refused to take his shoe off and said he would be okay if I took him home and he had a bath :roll: so I agreed and when he was in the car drove to the hospital :D and he was operated on that afternoon and let out the following morning.

After the Storm

Here’s still hoping for the best outcome.