Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Mike »

Wipersnapper. :lol:

Mike

curtis

Post by curtis »

Quelqu'un qui pique les essuie glaces ?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Getting the balcony hoovered.

The Mistral was blowing hard when we arrived on Sunday evening, although I wasn’t going to be hoovering anything then. Yesterday we were busy finishing unpacking etc, so only inside got cleaned.

Next door’s flat roof sends loads of little black cinder-looking bits over to our balcony when it’s windy, as well as zillions of assorted leaves from the parc that blow in.

Today I thought, blow the wind, I’ll hoover out there, and it looks so clean inviting now; we’re out having lunch with the awning out as it’s sunny and 23.5C and the wind is much calmer.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Still not had confirmation fromm hubbie's mutuelle as to how much they are going to pay for my hand op (Clinic needs it). I took a deep breath and phoned them in my awful French. Got a lovely lady who confirmed they had received my request and asked if I would like the response sent by email and said it would be processed within the newt 10 days - so I would have their confirmation before the date the clinic require it. Hey maybe my French is better tthan I think it is !!!!
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Tom

Post by Tom »

:D My 2008 Mondeo 1.8 tdci is now returning 63mpg when it used to give 58mpg. This is probably partly because of the new 80kph limit, which I do try to observe but also because I've taken to changing up to a higher gear much sooner than I used to and to step changing more frequently.

For the moment these are figures from the car's computer but in the past such readings have been surprisingly accurate. This is because I always do full tank refills to calculate the true mpg. Next refill will confirm but it's looking good. Essential really, given the way diesel prices have shot up so much of late.

:?: Perhaps if I only ever half filled the tank it might be possible to squeeze out one more mpg but then it would be very difficult to really know.
“The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other milk."
—Ogden Nash

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 pm
:D My 2008 Mondeo 1.8 tdci is now returning 63mpg when it used to give 58mpg. This is probably partly because of the new 80kph limit, which I do try to observe but also because I've taken to changing up to a higher gear much sooner than I used to and to step changing more frequently.

For the moment these are figures from the car's computer but in the past such readings have been surprisingly accurate. This is because I always do full tank refills to calculate the true mpg. Next refill will confirm but it's looking good. Essential really, given the way diesel prices have shot up so much of late.

:?: Perhaps if I only ever half filled the tank it might be possible to squeeze out one more mpg but then it would be very difficult to really know.

My ye olde 2003 Ghia X TDCi is showing 55 mpg as opposed to 50, Mrs Spotty is the main driver & likes to gun it thro' the gears to get to 80kph so probably could do better :lol:
She reckons there's a problem with the wear rate of front tyres :roll:

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Noisette wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 am
Spotty wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

Don't you start :roll: :lol: They definitely don't make tyres like they used to! :D
Indeed, Super Nipslips lasted forever but you stayed in if it was raining :D

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 pm
:D My 2008 Mondeo 1.8 tdci is now returning 63mpg when it used to give 58mpg. This is probably partly because of the new 80kph limit,
I didn't really slow down so there was no difference but I knew that if I abided the limit religeously it would make a big difference.

I have just swapped to a newer old banger, a MK2 compared to the old MK1 and its more economical, I am driving it slower than the old one to see how the economy compares, just used the first tankfull, 810 miles on 55 litres = 67mpg on a mixture of UK commuter journeys, 200 miles of motorways and autoroutes and loacl journeys here in France.

Best ever mileage was 86.5mpg over 15km returning from the running club and not quite respecting the 80kph limit (was doing 88), the next time I did the mean of opposite runs there and back and it was 76mpg.

Yesterday I drove smoothly on local roads till the tank ran out, I wanted to know the exact range, and it returned 76mpg.

Sticking to 80kph really does make a significant difference

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Noisette wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 am
Spotty wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

Don't you start :roll: :lol: They definitely don't make tyres like they used to! :D
If that discussion starts I couldn’t agree with that statement. In the late ‘80s- early - ‘90s I had front wheel cars producing 105-115BHP and the front tyres were lucky to last 15,000 miles. These days my front wheel drive car puts 200BHP through those front tyres yet they last over 40,000. They don’t make them like they used to, luckily.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I will bet Dominic that it rarely puts 200hp through the tyres at low speeds or from a standing start where traction would be lost and tyre wear highest compared to the 110hp regularly going up in smoke in the 80's and 90's, well I speak for myself anyway :lol:

Tyres last me a hell of a lot longer these days but then so does a tank of fuel :good:

My cost per mile in fuel is still less today than the 10p a mile it was in 1980 when fuel cost £1.60 a gallon and my Triumph Stag did 16mpg