Just follow me & you'll be a winner every time :D

Gigi

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Gigi »

Veem wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:18 pm
I’m speaking from experience. On every journey that I have made on my e-bike I have averaged over 20kmh, usually nearer 23kmh. As you rightly say the cut off for assistance is 25kmh and the assistance tails off long before then. Most of the time I travel at over 25kmh with no assistance.
I found you comment arrogant. Not for you? What does that mean?
Well done Biggles, it’s great that at your age you are able to have the confidence to tackle such journeys on a bicycle. A great credi5 to both you and the technology.
I do wonder whether DM has any idea of Biggle's age. A clue? DBO 8.1.39 I doubt many of his age would consider riding 60 km on an e-bike over fairly irregular terrain. I certainly wouldn't have set off on such a trip (and my DOB is way more recent than his) so, though I felt he was a bit mad to do it, I take my hat off to him. Yes, LD did congratulate him in a roundabout way but it seemed very much damned by faint praise.
Wow, Veem, I’d already given a thumbs up to Biggles, but now I think it should gave been more than a thumbs up - that’s amazing going! 🚴‍♂️ 🏅 🏆

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

My husband’s visit about his hearing this morning was a big surprise - his aids were programmed up to date and there'll definitely be no need to think about spending thousands on new ones for some time yet.

He dd start off with NHS hearing aids, which were very good, but it became more and more difficult to get appointments for check ups etc. Having compared hearing aid offerings from Boots, Specsavers and our excellent small chain of opticians, he went with Specsavers, several thousands of ££££ cheaper for exactly the same product.

We’d never try Specsavers for specs again, but for hearing aids and service they’ve been brilliant.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Thrre times I have tried to put up a post and everytime is does not appear - it is because I used the word bloody
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

bubbles1 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:39 pm
Thrre times I have tried to put up a post and everytime is does not appear - it is because I used the word bloody
When you click Submit do you then go back to the Active topics page? Ther's no active profanity filter installed here.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

AIIy

Post by AIIy »

bubbles1 wrote:
Clearly not.
Being funny makes you more attractive.
Beauty fades but sarcasm lives forever.

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

bubbles1 wrote:
Bubbles, I had to submit my two posts just above a couple of times each - I think several of us tried posting at the same time. I thought I’d got used to being patient about posting, but obviously not at rush hour! 😀

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 pm
bubbles1 wrote:
When you click Submit do you then go back to the Active topics page? Ther's no active profanity filter installed here.
No spellcheck either :lol:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Veem wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm

I do wonder whether DM has any idea of Biggle's age. A clue? DBO 8.1.39 I doubt many of his age would consider riding 60 km on an e-bike over fairly irregular terrain. I certainly wouldn't have set off on such a trip (and my DOB is way more recent than his) so, though I felt he was a bit mad to do it, I take my hat off to him. Yes, LD did congratulate him in a roundabout way but it seemed very much damned by faint praise.
A tenfold thumbs up from me then :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I was genuinely pleased for and praising him, I am OK up to 40km (just returned from a 32km ride) but sitting for 60km in the saddle even without having to give much tractive effort would be a struggle let alone if I were 20 years older.

Chapeau to him!
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:18 pm
I’m speaking from experience. On every journey that I have made on my e-bike I have averaged over 20kmh, usually nearer 23kmh. As you rightly say the cut off for assistance is 25kmh and the assistance tails off long before then. Most of the time I travel at over 25kmh with no assistance.
I found you comment arrogant. Not for you? What does that mean?
What is arrogant about saying an e-bike is not for me? And surely you don't need someone to explain to you what that means.

Plenty of things are not for me at present but will inevitably be one day, retirement, a hearing aid, a walking stick, a retirement home, and an e-bike amongst many others.

We agree that an e-bike without assistance presents much more resistance to motion when in unassisted mode, wind resistance rises with the square of velocity, I know how much effort I expended this afternoon on the few occasions that I exceeded 25km/h aside from downhill, it would have been considerably more on a heavy e-bike with the wide tyres that most seem to have, if you are capable of pedalling a heavy e-bike unassisted at above 25km/h for 70% of your journey then I take my hat off to you, you have the fitness of an Olympian and certainly dont need an e-bike yet.

However if you have one to undertake longer journeys I can certainly see the advantage, if I worked up to 20km away I would ride my bike, last year I would do 20km each way to the running club sessions, with an e-bike I could cycle up to 50km each way although the time taken would probably favour the car.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”