What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Bald Eagle

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Bald Eagle »

Biggles wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 pm
Cycling 60Km round trip to get my hair cut! It should have been warm and sunny but was, in fact bitterly cold and overcast and I felt very chilled. By far the worst part of the experience was the hardness of the saddle :!: Despite my proper cycling padded knickers, it was extremely uncomfortable. How on earth do the Pro's manage 100+ Kms a day for weeks on end? Novocain? Answers on a Postcard, please...
Many years ago in a Parisian cafe I was chatting with the owner about all the bike racing memoribilia on the cafe walls. He had taken part in the "Tour de France" but the main things he finished up with were: piles, varicose veins and ruined testicles!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

jsks

Post by jsks »

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:30 pm
I had some blood tests on Friday (just routine) got a text yesterday to call the surgery. When I did I was told I needed to speak to a doctor about my Liver Function. Cue a sleepless night and all sorts of thoughts.When I rang this morning I chose to speak to the crazy Aussie GP who has just told me my LFTs are better than his and stop fretting
I don't know why, cos it's not funny really, but that made me laugh.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I panicked because liver issues are sensitive in the family at the moment,and he thought I’d been contacted by mistake,so was being extremely light hearted

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Getting my new passport only 14 days after applying for it.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:58 am
Biggles wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 pm
Cycling 60Km round trip to get my hair cut! It should have been warm and sunny but was, in fact bitterly cold and overcast and I felt very chilled. By far the worst part of the experience was the hardness of the saddle :!: Despite my proper cycling padded knickers, it was extremely uncomfortable. How on earth do the Pro's manage 100+ Kms a day for weeks on end? Novocain? Answers on a Postcard, please...
What on earth possessed you? :o
1. It was a serious challenge to my stamina & determination, and I had no idea if I could still do it.
2. It was the first proper test for my E-bike. :good:
3. I needed a haircut. :lol:
4. It saved about 8Kg CO2 :innocent:
5. Despite the very sore bum today :(, it was a very pleasant experience - you can see an awful lot more travelling at 25Km/h than driving at 80 - you should try it! :good: :D
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I was very impressed until you mentioned E-bike, nonetheless it still took effort & determination and you have the sore jacksie to prove it so good on you :good:

I have done 100K during 3 afternoon outings this week of a couple of hours each, all within the 10k allowed limit and hence very very hilly, around 300m elevation gain/loss each time.

Today was a day off except I did 2km just before the couvre feu to look at something that I had seen on the drone footage of my area, there was a strong wind and just making forward motion was like the steepest hill I have ever climbed, an electric bike would have been welcome had I any real distance to cover.

Back on the saddle again tomorrow weather permitting.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I was very impressed until you mentioned E-bike,

Have you ever tried one? The electric motor provides assistance not propulsion, they still require a lot of effort but make hills and head winds more bearable. This results in journeys that are quicker rather that particularly easier. It’s also worth pointing out that possibly 70% of most e-bikes rides are at speeds above the point that the electric motor remains engaged. A lightweight well designed road bike is far more efficient but I’m sure that you wouldn’t be making negative comments about people who ride them.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Going with our Grandson for a "pint" at our local when he finishes school today! First Thursday "booze up" in 52 weeks! :good:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

tim17

Post by tim17 »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:48 am
Going with our Grandson for a "pint" at our local when he finishes school today! First Thursday "booze up" in 52 weeks! :good:
They certainly start drinking young in N Yorks! :)

jsks

Post by jsks »

tim17 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:02 am
Bald Eagle wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:48 am
They certainly start drinking young in N Yorks! :)
Getting them ready for big school.