What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

The sun's been shining all day and the temperature peaked at 20° in our neck of les bois. The new series of Have I got News For You returns tonight and chicken curry is on the dinner menu at Chateau D. Life don't get much better.

Do hope the Argentine Moto GP on Sunday is exciting as the last one in Qatar, then I'll have something else to post on this thread on the sabbath.

Bon weekend à tous,

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The GP will be as boring as all of them have been of late, halo's around the driver, next it will be windscreens and not far away mudguards, F1 is not what it used to be, some SA will bring up the safety aspects, but its become sterilised IMO.

Mike

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Mike wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:36 pm
The GP will be as boring as all of them have been of late, halo's around the driver, next it will be windscreens and not far away mudguards, F1 is not what it used to be, some SA will bring up the safety aspects, but its become sterilised IMO.

Mike
Oh dear, you've jumped in to reply without properly reading my post. If you did, you'd see I was referring to the MOTO GP in Argentina, not F1 which has indeed elevated boredom to an art form. If you're still confused a Moto GP is one for motor bikes. There won't be a halo in sight, though some regard Messrs Rossi and Marquez as gods. Why not watch the highlights on ITV next week and then pass an opinion?

Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sorry I miss-understood, agreed Moto GP is far more exciting.

Mike

Tom

Post by Tom »

Pleased today with the amount of gravel I got from our local quarry for €9.53. In fact I got it yesterday but only worked it out this morning.

After the ravages of winter a number of potholes had appeared in our drive and, following a few dry days, the time had come to fill them in. Went down to the quarry to fetch some 0/31.5 Primaire gravel and found the weigh bridge was occupied by a number of grey blocks. Asked in the office what was going on and they said they were undergoing an official 'weights and measures' check but if I was prepared to take it on trust they could sell me an estimated half a tonne of gravel. Having agreed and paid I got the trailer topped up to the brim and set off for home. The poor old Land Rover really struggled on some of the hills but we got back safely. Had more than enough gravel to fill absolutely all the holes.

This morning I measured the trailer and worked out that it has a capacity of 0.6 cubic meters. On looking up the weight of gravel I was astonished to find that the load I'd been given had easily exceeded a tonne and was probably nearer to 1.1 tonnes. :) Who says you can't get a bargain buy in France from time to time.
“The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other milk."
—Ogden Nash

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Grass cut before return of more rain- rock n roll lifestyle

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

The sun is still shinning - not for long -me thinks - got out of the house and into town today - wow twice in two weeks - what deep joy !!!! :D
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Mike wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:54 pm
Sorry I miss-understood, agreed Moto GP is far more exciting.

Mike
No worries, glad you're more or less a fan.

Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:20 pm

This morning I measured the trailer and worked out that it has a capacity of 0.6 cubic meters. On looking up the weight of gravel I was astonished to find that the load I'd been given had easily exceeded a tonne and was probably nearer to 1.1 tonnes. :) Who says you can't get a bargain buy in France from time to time.
My trailer has a capacity of 0.8m3 and at the local négoce matériaux I ask for "un bon quart" with the emphasis on the "bon" and they load the 1/4m3 godet with it piled up in the top, drop it into my trailer and look alarmingly at the mini wheels and 10cwt suspension cambered alarmingly and ask if I want more, a nod will give another godet full and I get around 1M3 according to my calculations but pay for 1/4 m3, they know they are doing it, its their way of fidélising their customers.

During their holidays I went to another place and after loading the guy came out and measured my trailer, he then proceded to charge me for 1.6m3 and refused to admit he had both mismeasured and miscalculated (he measured the outside of the framing and to the top of the peak) I knew the capacity of my trailer with a level load was half of that but to no avail, I had to complain to the DGCCRF and they came down and gave him a going over, as usual took ages to get the money back without any apology.

One outfit knows how to keep customers, the other how to lose them.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

What pleased me today was meeting someone I hadn't met before, the beautiful drive back home looking at the countryside and back in time to cut the grass for Demon who prefers the grass not to be too long :P fussy poodle.