What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Aardvark

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Aardvark »

Like the packets of KP nuts that said "may contain nuts". :lol: It was either packaging designed for the American market or Health and Safety gone mad. :roll:

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:15 pm
whyme? wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 pm
Veem wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:37 pm
They look yummy BE.

Though I have to say their Cornish pasties (described as Traditional Minced Steak and Veg Pasty) don't look as appetising as Vic's.
That's my gall ! :good:
Us cornish have to stick together ;)
Gal. Spell check I guess. Reading the list of ingredients in them is disappointing as well, all industrial, and then they add "May also contain traces of milk & egg (pastry)" - as someone said elsewhere, no shit, Sherlock!
More like not checked than spell check. Easily done but then, I'm sure you know that. :roll:
My oggies are 100% pure beef, onion, turnip or carrot, spuds, salt & pepper. Can't speak for the flour, suet & butter which has additives outside my control.
£1.95 for a 200 gm pastie. ? Mine average 330 gm & probably cost 1/2 that for the ingredients. Mind you, if you included my labour of about 2 hours to make 8 they'd cost twice that but, as it's a labour of love, who's counting :lol:

Veem

Post by Veem »

'ey. Who are you calling Cornish? I'm an Essex girl, me.

What do you use for Suet Vic? I've now run out and though the local butcher had clearly been asked for it by anglais before, he told me it isn't disponible in France (so what do they do with it?) and led me to some product called Lardina, which I bought but haven't dared to use yet.

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

This morning when I opened the gate I witnessed a Limousin cow nuzzle her TWIN calves just born, she led them over a very small brook with great care and attention, mooing them on to cross over to her and checking they were OK when they crossed. New life, it's so great to see it.
I have experienced a mid winter whiteout on the high tundra between Alta and Skaidi, I tell you, it's no big deal there is nothing to see, anyway, I must go back there as I think I left the northern lights on.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Veem wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:24 pm

What do you use for Suet Vic? I've now run out and though the local butcher had clearly been asked for it by anglais before, he told me it isn't disponible in France (so what do they do with it?) and led me to some product called Lardina, which I bought but haven't dared to use yet.
I'm not a cornish either but others on here didn't know that. ;)
I'm using Atora suet. The kids brought over 8 packets ages ago & at 250gm /packet I can get two lots of 8 pasties out of one packet if I juggle the suet/butter ratio a bit.
I'm down to the last packet now & hoping mrs V doesn't want to waste any on dumplings etc. Dunno what I'll do if this travel ban keeps up & I can't get any more. About time I started researching alternatives. The Lardina you mention is pork fat not beef but looks like it might do the job. I'm sure someone on here mentioned alternatives a while back so maybe they'll help out again. There's got to be a substitute in France, hasn't there?

jsks

Post by jsks »

Veem wrote:

We used to get it from the local butcher. Ask for gras de rognons. Expect a puzzled look from M Le boucher.

When OH first asked for it she was asked what it was for (it was for Xmas pudding). When he heard it was for an English pudding he looked awfully queasy.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Veem wrote:

Ask the boucher for graisse de rognons de boeuf
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

France beating Wales in the last minute.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Veem wrote:

I bought Atora on Amazon.fr

Veem

Post by Veem »

I specifically asked the butcher for graisse de rognons and he knew exactly what I meant and clearly I wasn't the only anglaise he'd led to the Lardina .........

Jsks - I'm guilty of using Atora for dumplings as we do love them in a good winter warming stew. When I could source UK foods and have them delivered over here using it was no problem, as I could easily buy more.

Rabbit I hadn't thought of looking for Atora on Amazon. :good: I'm off to have a look now ...........