What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Several weeks ago, just before we left for a brief visit to England, a message on the dashboard of our almost 11-year-old Audi A6 advised me a service was due, so I booked it into our local non-franchise garage for one last Thursday. Today in the post I received the bill which amounted to €251.51. The last time it was serviced, again as a result of a dashboard prompt, was March 2016. After two years and 27,194 kms travelled, less than 250 sovs for a service seems astonishing value to me so I am well pleased today. Vorsprung durch Technik indeed. Love it!

Not only that, it stopped bloody raining a few hours ago and the sun has been shining since. The météo says it'll be 20° on Friday. Can that really be true? If so I may post again in 3 days.

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Mike wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 pm
Bubbles

The road in the picture above is the only way into and out of my drive, so I don't drive on them quite a bit of the time, but all the time when the car moves its on these roads, which are covered in flints and potholes, the road has deteriorated at the same rate as the tyres have reduced the side profile these being on my current car: 245/35 R 20 (F); 275/30 R 20 (R) What do you run on yours are they a similar low profile?

Mike
That does look like a very strange choice of tyre for somebody who knows that they will be driving on badly maintained roads to have chosen. Fashion obviously coming before common sense.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The tyre was not my choice, but is what's fitted to the car as standard, the RR has better equipped tyres for that type of road, but why should I have to compromise on what car I drive because of the appealing state of the roads.

Mike

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Speaking to a locksmith, who can provide and fit new, strong locks on individuals’ for €30 less than the other one I was considering. This follows burglaries in 2 apartments, where the locks proved to be very weak, so 2 elderly women had a terrible shock at tge danage and missing valuables.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

I feel like a member of the human race again. After 10 days of inactivity and pain and sleeping g on the sofa - I have come out the other side. First day not having to use a crutch. Nothing awful unless you happen to have been on my side of my skin! I got an inflammation of the knee and fluid on it - really nasty but hey ho there are a lot worse off than me and I knew I would eventually get better. Hopefully will be able to drive by the weekend. Got through it with my wonderful OH and brilliant friends -- Bring on sunshine now :D
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Sorry don't know why that came up twice :o
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

jsks

Post by jsks »

bubbles1 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:40 pm
Sorry don't know why that came up twice :o
I'd blame your knee,

(I've deleted the double post)

Debra

Post by Debra »

After a day of frustration trying to find matching screws, rawl plugs and drill bits in my wrecked tool room and then struggling to screw them in (if I could find the right screwdriver as I have two electric ones and neither battery seems to hold a charge) I took a trip to Bati Leclerc and bought myself a little tray with matching drill bits and rawl plugs and a row of plastic boxes with screws in, complete with label to say what size drill bit they match - plus a new electric screwdriver in a case with all the bits organised. It made me smile - and tomorrow I'm going to take some time out to reorganise the tool room and put a blooming padlock on it to stop anyone taking stuff out and not putting it back in the right place! I hope this will regenerate some energy to get on with the tasks at hand.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Debra - someone after my own heart - Ilove organisation - it makes stuff easy to find and gives great satisfaction as you dont spend hours searching for somethingcause you didnt put it back in the right place - that is not OVD just organised - good luck for tomorrow :good:

Debra

Post by Debra »

I ended up carrying on with the job (woke up with a relevation about how to do it) but still doing a bit of organising as I go along. I had a pile of Lidl icecream cartons (quite strong plastic) that I used to use to organise my medicine/first aid cupboard and I've got them in a row in the room I'm working in. Every time I go looking for something and find yet another drill bit/rawl plug/bolt/srewdriver bit/screwdriver where it shouldn't be, I bring it back out of the tool room with me and throw it in a box. I've got one for odd tools that I need for the job in hand to keep them tidy (when I've finally found them). It's the men in my life that are the culprits. A lot of mess was left behind by my ex (dropped things wherever he was using them and left them there) and any organising I've done since he left has been destroyed by my sons or stepdad or a helpful friend. I've got five toolboxes and despite organising at least two with a full set of tools a couple of years ago, they're now all mixed up and there are tools dotted all over the workbench and in various places in the barn and houses. Do all men not put things back where they got them from???