What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
whyme?

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by whyme? »

Finally got the boiler fixed in a UK commercial building we own.
The office is tenanted by a company that provides on call & contract nursing & has been without heat for about 2 weeks.
The boiler manufacturers have been playing silly buggers over a technicallity on the service log book of the boiler which has a 7 year warranty & as a last resort I copied my file to the MD of this international company last Saturday.
Today the boiler was repaired with their customer service manager keeping me advised.
Result.
It pays to talk to the organ grinder when the monkeys won't listen.
A pessimist is just a better informed optimist

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

We had an email from the Old Bank Hotel at Oxford, where we had planned to spend Christmas but which I’d had to cancel as we’re now in tier 4, saying that they’d cancelled with no charge. Their rules and regs were that special bookings, such as Christmas, required 7 days notice, so this was really unexpected and we’re very grateful to the owner.

We’ve already enjoyed staying at the hotel and having meals at the restaurant, but this has made us even more keen to continue going there.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Discovering a whole new world now that I am on broadband.
I have just been looking through old e-mails from my half brother in Canada and found a load of pictures that I couldn’t previously see. There was also what follows in the link.
I am not a believer, bro is. That aside there are many parallels with the times we live in

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

What pleased me today was knowing that when I finished loading the van that that was it for a few days, yayyyyy :P

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I was tasked with braving the torrential rain this afternoon to exchange a gas bottle and buy a couple of parsnips for crissy dinner. I found a couple of decent looking parsnips and was standing in the queue behind an old lady, 90 if she was a day, thinking she must have just nipped across from the retirement home across the square, in her house slippers. :o Clearly she didn't look all that happy about it, and I was also thinking about how delighted the cashier would be when I ask her to go out in the driving rain to unlock the gas cage to get me a bottle. :(
So I figured, what the hell................... as the cashier looked up to serve me I held the two parsnips up to my head like a pair of horns on a beast to lighten the mood. It worked! They both broke into laughter at the sight. :lol: :lol:

I'm now wondering if something silly like that might work elsewhere.
I have a problem with smartphones. I need one hand to hold the phone, another to peck/push/and swipe, and another to hold the magnifying glass.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

I once wore a handkerchief over my face in a local bank. Wow, aren't policemen young these days? ;)
Anne
loved you yesterday,
love you still,
always have,
always will

ajm

Post by ajm »

Just had our first zoom call with all the family members in UK- it now feels a bit more like Christmas. Ain't technology wonderful - you learn something new every day.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

I saw my French avatar (RobertDumoulin) appearing on a French forum: a modern wind turbine in classic Delft blue, background snatched from a painting by the OH. Modern technology: smartphone, upload, publish, 5 minutes. Every morning I take it for granted that my laptop does what it is supposed to do. Millions of transistor functions and a million lines of code start working together: brilliant.

ajm

Post by ajm »

RobertArthur wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:12 pm
I saw my French avatar (RobertDumoulin) appearing on a French forum: a modern wind turbine in classic Delft blue, background snatched from a painting by the OH. Modern technology: smartphone, upload, publish, 5 minutes. Every morning I take it for granted that my laptop does what it is supposed to do. Millions of transistor functions and a million lines of code start working together: brilliant.
"Transistors"? They disappeared years ago.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

AIIy

Post by AIIy »

Not true. My brother now calls himself Wilma and we've accepted that.