What has pleased you today

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: What has pleased you today

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm
A special thanks to Le Demardeur for the special glue. :good: I'm sure any lesser product wouldn't have held together during my test session.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I am really pleased that you got to use it :good:

I had a job that for many years had defied every glue I had tried, sticking expanded polystyrene insulation sheets to the underside of steel roofing sheets, my auto-contructor pal has also tried everything known to man over 3 decades and had never found a solution, the thermal expansion always pulled the glue away from the poly sheets whether they were expanded or extruded.

Then I tried that glue and it worked, none fell off this summer despite the record temperatures.

Now I am insulating and fitting out a couple of Roulotte Cabine de Chantiers and guess what I have run out of :oops: :oops: :oops:

When I brought over the last box from the UK I could not have known that i would not be able to return for a very long time :( Am going to get my neighbour to send over a consignment together with other deliveries that have arrived in the meantime.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Can you enlighten the rest of us as to the glue, please?
“Donald Trump is a curious blend;
There's crap comes out of either end."
—With apologies to Ogden Nash

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Re Snap on, I could only afford/justify buying the 2 most frequently used tools, a 10mm and 13mm combination spanner and guess what always goes missing!

I also have a set of Snap On feeler blades but they get very little use in this day & age but back then were as frequently used as the spanners.

I also have some Blue Point & Stahlewilly tools, all excellent but still not as good as Snap On.

There are lot of cheap tools on Ebay being passed of as Blue Point that are labelled Blue Spot, - beware!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

FFS, delighted to, its Toolstation polyurethane low foaming glue in a 315ml cartridge, its no better than other PU glues but better value and crucially they have solved the packaging problem and its the only one that does not go off in the container and works when you want it to without 30 minutes of unblocking nozzles & breaking the dried crust, leaving it upside down for 30 minutes to encourage some to come out and making your hands go black for 14 days in the process.

Its cheaper and when you consider you dont throw any away and dont waste hours then its way cheaper.

Oh, and it sticks like **** to a blanket :D

FrenchForumSurvivor

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 pm
Toolstation polyurethane low foaming glue in a 315ml cartridge, its no better than other PU glues..
Your below post would seem to suggest otherwise. :)
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 pm
I had a job that for many years had defied every glue I had tried, sticking expanded polystyrene insulation sheets to the underside of steel roofing sheets, my auto-contructor pal has also tried everything known to man over 3 decades and had never found a solution, the thermal expansion always pulled the glue away from the poly sheets whether they were expanded or extruded.

Then I tried that glue and it worked, none fell off this summer despite the record temperatures.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

No it doesnt, had I known the outcome I would not have bothered answering your question.

Can we leave the thread to what has pleased us today?

What pleased me today was that my unsolicited gift to the deserving Aardvark has made him a convert to the Toolstation PU glue.

Tom

Post by Tom »

IMG_1236.JPG
:D Since this thread has drifted to talk of stickies I want praise this one, bought in January from Amazon UK for circa £11.00 delivered.

Used it to seal the windscreen of our 1997 Micra which had a wrinkled and badly leaking rubber seal. This stuff stuck the rubber down flat and has survived frost, snow and rain, searing heat this summer because the car lives outside and a recent sudden deluge. This sealant has remained attached, is still supple and hasn't allowed a single drop of water to enter.

:lol: It pleased me again today when I drove the car to our local pharmacist for her to certify, for the Pension Service, that I was still alive .
“The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other milk."
—Ogden Nash

FrenchForumSurvivor

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 pm
No it doesnt, had I known the outcome I would not have bothered answering your question.

Can we leave the thread to what has pleased us today?

What pleased me today was that my unsolicited gift to the deserving Aardvark has made him a convert to the Toolstation PU glue.
Untwist your knickers, LD, I was simply noting that you said Toolstation was no better than other PU glues, yet it managed to do something that you had not been able to do with other glues, so it obviously is better.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I had the same thought as FFS ,the postings did read two ways

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had not tried polyurethane foaming woodwork glue before on that job.

I percieved that it could work but the problem was that other than the Toolstation cartridge offering none of the others could be squeezed out in sufficient quantities before going off and what remained in the squeeze bottle would rapidly harden because of the air contained within, you would get biceps like Popeye just trying to get enough out onto a mortice & tenon joint.

It did the job but any other make of PU woodworking adhesive would have also worked if you were able to get it fromthe bottle onto the sheets

I have found what looks to be a good and economical alternative in France although I am trusting that the nozzlecomes with the screw on cap which is the key to the success of the other one (being able to properly seal against air ingress and no airgap in the container).

https://www.quincaillerie.pro/produit/p ... fluxcenter

I have ordered 10 to be going on with.