Consumer rights

suein56

Re: Consumer rights

Post by suein56 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:36 am

But when I say cooking from scratch then I mean it .. making tomato soup from our tomatoes, courgette soup from our courgettes, ratatouille from our veg plot vegs .. all need washing, chopping etc etc before they can be incorporated into the dishes being prepared.
Viva washing-up machines .. they are great ;-)
Plus I don't know a French woman without one ..
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 am

Where does a dishwasher fit into washing, chopping and preparing vegetables?
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post (total 2):
Halfpint (Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 am) • DominicBest (Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 am)

mysty

Post by mysty » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 am

DominicBest wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 pm
Not to sound boring but I too cook from scratch most days yet haven’t used my dishwasher for well over a year except to clean the oven racks once in a while. The reason is simple, I use cookware, cutting boards, glasses and even cutlery that I wouldn’t put in the dishwasher virtually every time I cook so have to hand wash some items anyway. As I’m hand washing those items washing a few extra mugs, plates, knives, forks and spoons is pretty straightforward.
That's a man thing I wash up by hand have never used the dishwasher. I can understand why people use them if they are cooking or baking from scratch.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:30 am

Maybe me ditching my "proper" oven for a halogen table top oven has saved me from falling for the charms of a dishwasher, no burnt pans or racks and no gloves on intensive oven cleaning, it like all the pots and pans gets washed up every time that I cook.

I even have a short cut for that, before cooking any fatty food that will drip I put half a glass of water in the bottom and the tiniest dribble of washing up liquid, all it needs is rinsing out afterwards.

All my pots and pans are spotless inside and out, my cast iron cookware set is white enamel, not a mark on any of them yet they are well used as on the inside of some there is no enamel left, just bare cast iron.

Archy

Post by Archy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 am

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm
I always wonder why a couple, with no children, need a dishwasher. Washing machine and dryer, yes, but surely there's no need for a dishwasher?
Yikes that's us! Couple with no children with dishwasher (and cat!) When we arrived here permanently our local french bar owners took us under their wings and carted us off to a very friendly electrical shop in Domfront (I forget the name and don't know if they still exist). Many many euros later we'd ordered a dishwasher (told we would need one), washing machine and a replacement woodburning cooker (the bar owners were promised the old one so yes you can guess why we were taken shopping!) When word got around that the white goods had arrived, one by one 8 french neighbours turned up for a barbecue in our garden unannounced complete with table & chairs from the bar, sausages, salad and apple tart. After the frivolities the ladies decided they would christen the dishwasher - there was some disagreements between them on what should be put where but all ended amicably including my pots & glasses! I stood back and let them get on with it not wanting to interfere. I use it now about once every few months when we have friends in for dinner but I wouldn't want to be without it but there isn't really a need for it and as someone else has said most of my pots and glasses can't go in a dishwasher. Amen. Mrs A

ps I did have to get someone in to replace something or other when there was a recall a couple of years ago but apart from that it's 14 years old and bobbing along perfectly probably cos it's not used much :!:

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 am

I prefer to use a local electrical shop rather than Darty simply because of the service issue. We had dishwasher problems in the Gite and had to buy a new one. It was delivered but when installed by the local shop they found a fault. We explained we had guests due the following week. They immediately contacted the company and the fault was corrected. We had time to test the dishwasher properly before guests arrived.

Now when I buy something I consider if it’s an item where I need prompt service if there’s a problem. Yes, I know I could get it cheaper but sometimes it’s not worth it if there’s a problem.
These users thanked the author SW31girl for the post (total 2):
After the Storm (Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm) • Gardengirl (Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 pm)

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 am

Yep, we’re two people and a dishwasher. I used to be sceptical about them until MIL insisted I buy a small tabletop dishwasher and never looked back. I don’t care what you say but they do clean far better than by hand - the water is hotter for a start. Not everything goes into it but most does so there’s very little to wash by hand.
From the Bosch table top one, which was very practical and efficient, we moved on to a Miele slimline one when we changed the kitchen. We now have a Miele full-size dishwasher. I’m not sure what the dishwasher brand is in the gite. If you’re short of space the tabletop dishwashers are excellent for a small household; they can also go in a cupboard if worktop space is limited.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 am

Well, as I type I guess Mike is installed in front of Darty. Hope he hasn't been arrested.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 am

SW31girl wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 am
If you’re short of space the tabletop dishwashers are excellent for a small household; they can also go in a cupboard if worktop space is limited.
If worktop space is limited then cupboard space will be at a premium, I removed my built in oven to give me more storage space and now use a halogen oven that takes up some space under the sink but a lot less than the big oven liberated.

I have a small L shaped kitchen, it was a cuisine equipée that I added the corner return to for more space, the short leg of the L is the sink and drainer, the drainer is grooves in the beech so that if the tiny drying rack is removed there is more useable workspace.

The main run has the plaque in the centre, 40cm of clear space on one side and 50cm the other which is all but taken up with the coffee maker, chopping board, knife block etc. I have little prep and working space but can cook and serve for a dinner party if I imediately wash up and put away stuff once its used and that to me is the key, a dishwasher just encourages people to hide away what they have used.

If I had a table top dishwasher I would no longer be able to prepare food and cook anything other than microwave ready meals and I would also need twice as many plates dishes and cutlery (if not more) meaning no space in the cupboards for storing food and ingredients.

And I have seen several young people in their first apartments with sometimes even smaller kitchens than mine, half of which is taken up by the sink and drainer and their only workspace taken up by a dishwasher, they dont/cant cook, they reheat ready meals.

I remain to be convinced that a dishwasher is a need and not a desire.

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Seems this thread has changed from consumer rights to the pros and cons of dishwasher ownership.

We bought a fridge freezer which failed day after delivery. The shop we bought it from insisted it was repaired - that was until my wife started ranting at the manager in the shop and loads of potential customers left. They gave us a refund cheque and we purchased elsewhere.

Lidl sold us a battery hedge trimmer with a 3 year guarantee (LoL). The battery charger failed within the first few months. Lidl do not replace after a month so it was contact the manufacturer. They said they would not replace because it had been used and it was obviously not a manufacturing fault. Their battery chargers on the Florabest site are guaranteed for 3 months! Guarantee is useless and I vowed to never buy Florabest products again.

leclerc supermarket sold us a DVD. It would not play so took it back. The said they could not replace because the package had been opened - you could not believe anyone would be so stupid. Argued the point and got a refund.