Consumer rights

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Consumer rights

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I always wonder why a couple, with no children, need a dishwasher. Washing machine and dryer, yes, but surely there's no need for a dishwasher?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

jsks

Post by jsks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm
I always wonder why a couple, with no children, need a dishwasher. Washing machine and dryer, yes, but surely there's no need for a dishwasher?
Because, being grown-ups, they can spend their cash as they wish without needing to justify it.
These users thanked the author jsks for the post (total 2):
amyhb (Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 pm) • Hexenbeest (Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 am)

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 pm

If you say so. It's not what I choose to spend my cash on, there are more important things in life. Anyway, I'm not asking for justifications, just reasons, and I wasn't even asking, just wondering. :roll:
These users thanked the author FrenchForumSurvivor for the post:
Halfpint (Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 am)
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 pm

The clue is in the noun consumer..

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 pm
If you say so. It's not what I choose to spend my cash on, there are more important things in life. Anyway, I'm not asking for justifications, just reasons, and I wasn't even asking, just wondering. :roll:
There are only two of us and we have a dishwasher, whick is put on every couple of days in the week and once a day a weekends - why - cause I cook properly from fresh ingredientd and therefore use dishes. Also we eat at the table and eat starters and main course and dessert from different plates and use differnt cutlery. - That is our choice and not your choice - fine - I have better things to do that wash bloody dishes.

As far I I am aware and have encountered here in France your guarantee does not mean you are entitled to a replacement. It means that if something goes wrong they will repair it. if they cant then they will replace it. Whilst you are without said item is apparenty your problem - it is the way it works here - get over it. I had a dishwasher which broke down 10 days before the guarantee ran out - The engineer came out 14 days after I made the call (it was over a bank holiday weekend and in Augustt) He said the control board had gone and I needed a new one. Because I had placed the call before the guarantee ran out it was covered and because it was the main part not only was it it was replaced free of charge I also got 1 year guarantee from the date it was fitted I cant complain. My new tablet went wrong within weeks. It was sent back to the supplier by the shop I purchased it from and within a week I was contacted to say they couldnt repair it so I could have new one.
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

suein56

Post by suein56 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Quick question .. is it you who does the cooking (from scratch naturally) in your household ?

I ask because my OH and I share the cooking .. it is mostly 45% me and 55% him though there is a shift in the summer when it is the opposite way round.
Both of us produce an inordinate amount of dirty dishes which require cleaning .. hence the need for a dishwasher in our 2 person household.

Edit : totally agree with Bubbles .. life's too short to wash-up by hand all day every day just because we choose to cook from scratch.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 pm

I cook from scratch, eat all my meals at home and have always washed up by hand, OK only one of me but if you are sharing the duties it amounts to the same, I would never have a dishwasher although I said that about a tumble drier before doing hotêllerie, I guess if I was cooking commercially I would have no choice, interesting to read so many people especially in small households speaking of need and not choice.

Perhaps I have inadvertently found the key is to have a small sink and tiny draining area and very little worktop space, I wash up after every meal, in fact not after but during the cooking and often before eating leaving just the plate and cutlery to finish.

Although I guess thats probably precisely what makes some people say they have to have a dishwasher, they dont have the space to stack up loads of unwashed dishes nor want to look at them.

I must be in a real minority though, when i clean the flats I find people will have used a whole bottle of washing up liquid yet seemingly have done no cooking nor eaten any meals judging by the waste bins, the few mugs or side plates they have done I invariably have to do again, I guess they have had dishwashers all their lives.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Nifty (Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 am)

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm with you, Chancer.

My wife does the cooking, I do the washing up, often certain dishes are washed during the cooking process, but after eating it takes less than 10 minutes to finish washing the dishes and they are dried up either there and then or later during the ads on TV. Much less water, much less time and much less expense than a dishwasher.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 pm

I no longer use that argument after my French friend showed me how little water his Bosch dishwasher uses, I use a lot throughout the day and because my ballon is a long way away I'm sure I use more electricity than a dishwasher would.

Its personal choice but to me its a choice and not a need, my summer has not been spoiled by washing up for the last 3 weeks nor has it been spoiled waiting for everything that i have ordered on line since June to be delivered or waiting for responses from myriad organisations, I know its not going to happen till after la rentrée, it should but it wont.

I like washing up, the first thing anyone sees on entering my front door is the (hopefully clean and empty) sink and draining board so I have a motivation.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Not to sound boring but I too cook from scratch most days yet haven’t used my dishwasher for well over a year except to clean the oven racks once in a while. The reason is simple, I use cookware, cutting boards, glasses and even cutlery that I wouldn’t put in the dishwasher virtually every time I cook so have to hand wash some items anyway. As I’m hand washing those items washing a few extra mugs, plates, knives, forks and spoons is pretty straightforward.