Gite advertising

A place for some light-hearted chat.
sparkapuss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gite advertising

Post by sparkapuss » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 am

Any pointers or recommendations for gite advertising, I have already gone with Holiday France Direct which has produced nothing in 4 months and have now registered with Homeaway who seem totally reluctant to enlighten me as to their commission rate. As this is our first year I want to stick with the pay per booking idea and not subscription. Is there a lack of punters at the moment??

alittlebitfrench

Re: Gite advertising

Post by alittlebitfrench » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am

Whenever I want to find a hotel or a gîte (well I don't use gîtes....but if I did) B&B or whatever, I just google it and go straight to the website of the owner.

I never ever use booking sites. Hate them.

So build a good website is my advice from a customer.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:43 pm

On the gite owners' group on Facebook they seem to mention booking.com and airbnb a lot.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:45 pm

This forum always used to have good advice. I haven't looked at it lately but it still looks alive so may be worth a visit https://www.laymyhat.com/forum/

This thread lists listing sites https://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6964

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm

With lots of these booking sites you do not have the right to a cancelation fee, therefore can be booked and the persons cancel at the last moment, meanwhile you have lost possibly any serious booking, this happens a lot, so worth checking out, I think you have already had the best advice, build your own website and get it out there in the ether.

Mike

CelticRambler

Post by CelticRambler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Scraper and aggregator sites transformed the hospitality industry, but may also have killed the goose that was laying golden eggs, primarily because of their attitude to cancellations. In the sites' quest for greater market share, they started offering the option to book (meals, accommodation, excursions, etc) with no penalty for cancellations and no thought for how the providers of those services would cope and/or react if, by offering no-risk cancellations, customers changed their habits.

Well, the customers did change their habits, and it's now common for people planning a trip or a meal to book first, ask questions later. The upshot is that many restaurants are opting out of online booking, but also insisting on a non-refundable deposit at the time of reservation because customers have got used to booking two, three, four or more different places for the same period, and cancelling all but one a the last minute when they know which of their invités are going to show up.

I've witnessed my own sister doing the same with accommodation - booking two different hotels for two dates when she didn't actually need accommodation because she was going to be somewhere else - "just in case".

The current "best practice" advice for those working in the hospitality industry, especially if they can't count on ever-present demand (e.g. city appartments) is to invest in a good website for general information and direct bookings, and have an active and imaginative presence on social media to attract attention to their own site.

That said, I made my last hotel booking through lastminute.com because it earned me a 12€ rebate ... :oops:

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm

I know that things have changed a lot since I quit the business 11 years ago, but I'd say the same as others, get your own website up and running pdq, I was 20 years here in the business and the website doubled our bookings in the first year.
Don't envie anyone these days though,starting a b/b or gite business, clients want the tops and pay less.
Unless you have a Chateau that is.