What are you doing today?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
bubbles1

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by bubbles1 »

Taking onefriend to physio and shopping, then off out for lunch with another friend. This afternoon - pottering about. :D
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'm giving the hovel a tidy up in advance of the OH coming home tomorrow on the overnight ferry from UK. She's bringing a carload of our ebay purchases and some goodies from the supermarkets. :P
Conservative government: A disease without a cure

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

Trying very hard to calm down after learning that a friend, who lost her partner less than a month ago, is being put out of her home by their son, who inherits everything. So after 30something years together she is going to be homeless come August. They weren’t married or pac’d and his death was sudden and unexpected, he Thought he had left her the house, but apparently not. The notaire thought they were married, so his wish and written instruction is nul and void. And the son, whom I had thought was a nice lad, has holidays in August, so wants to empty the house and put it on the market, but the worse thing is that most of my friends think this is NORMAL!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Absolutely tragic for your friend. The inheritance laws in France are in the dark ages. Greed is not just rampant in the UK it seems.
Conservative government: A disease without a cure

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Sorry to hear about your friend - absolutely dreadful for her. First the suddenand tragic loss ofher hubbie and then to be thrown out of her home. As to the "thought he had and the notaire thought" - people really should check these things, hence my post abouthaving the conversation. The notaire should have clarified the situation to them both soit would appear he failed your friend and her late husband. As to the son - I have seen some amazing family falls out here when someone dies,so no surprise. Sadly it seems to be "normal" in France.There are a lot of urban myths out there mainly put about by ill-informed Brits who think they know everything.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Mike

Post by Mike »

Isn't a Tontine (speeling?) clause in the buying documents supposed to cover that?

Mike

EDIT: found this on line: http://www.completefrance.com/french-pr ... -1-3317267

Kathyc

Post by Kathyc »

Aardvark wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am
Absolutely tragic for your friend. The inheritance laws in France are in the dark ages. Greed is not just rampant in the UK it seems.
If one of an unmarried couple died without a will in England, wouldn't the deceased's children inherit?

mysty

Post by mysty »

Well I am getting bored working but am here until tomorrow evening maybe. I have all the crapy fiddly jobs to do. If it was not 2.5 hours from home I would go.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Kathyc wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:32 pm
Aardvark wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am
If one of an unmarried couple died without a will in England, wouldn't the deceased's children inherit?
We are talking about France here - why does it matter to the poor lady what happens in the UK. They didnt sort things out - sounds like not being advised correctly by the notaire, and everyone working on assumptions - a very sad case for the lady concerned :(

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

mysty1 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:03 pm
Well I am getting bored working but am here until tomorrow evening maybe. I have all the crapy fiddly jobs to do. If it was not 2.5 hours from home I would go.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me, today consisted of walking, seeing family and mending things.