What are you doing today?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Gardengirl wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm
I could never have been a nurse, which is what I always thought of being until my teens - not that we were called teens then.
What were we called then, - children?

Serious question because now you mention it I cant recall being called a teenager, a juvenile perhaps.

The one thing that has really stuck with me is constantly hearing "children should be seen but not heard" :( as a result i had little confidence and social skills as a young adult.

As an older and grumpier adult I sometimes think that the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm

The one thing that has really stuck with me is constantly hearing "children should be seen but not heard" :( as a result i had little confidence and social skills as a young adult.

As an older and grumpier adult I sometimes think that the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Nah ! :roll:

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm
Gardengirl wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm
I could never have been a nurse, which is what I always thought of being until my teens - not that we were called teens then.
What were we called then, - children?

Serious question because now you mention it I cant recall being called a teenager, a juvenile perhaps.

I think we were just regarded as and treated as children - and being seen but not heard was normal. I also think that many parents these days want to be friends with their children rather than setting boundaries for them.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

My nieces are in their late 30's and 40's now but what I distinctly recall of their upbringing compared to mine and their parents was the absence of boundaries and a complete lack of.............. whats the darned word in English? When both parents are consistent and dont undermine each other? Anyway it was absent and the children exploited it to the maximum playing one off against the other, when they both divorced it became much much worse.

2 out of 3 turned out OK but their mother was superb when finally rid of her waste of space husband, the other still wants to be best friends with her daughter who still thinks she is a princess and her daughter, adorable as she is had double princessness forced on her, I get the impression that once away from the clingy mother and grandmother she will turn out to be the best, most rounded and successfull of them all, just a hunch.

mysty

Post by mysty »

She is off to get something done to her hair, I have the dog and an Alfa that will be on all four wheel today.
The back ones have never been off so its doable.
I did get the passenger side driveshaft and everything else on yesterday.
Never again.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Ha, they have WiFi here now you know, I thought about going for the Thatcher look ;) but decided to stay with my hippy, long and natural look.
Any other female that only goes to the hairdressers by making the next appointment each time they go otherwise they wouldn’t? So many other things I’d rather do with my time, like help Mysty get the Alfa’s out the garden 8-) I reckon when they have lying about for a year and a half it’s time for them to go :P

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

My hairdresser now comes to our home, cuts my husband’s hair too.

We’ve been to the hospital this morning as my husband had to activate his heart monitor over the weekend. Staff in the cardiac care unit checked his monitor recorder, said it was only a few missed heartbeats, nothing to worry about.

They gave him an interesting bit of kit that can download info from the monitor in his chest directly to the cardiac unit where any concerns it picks up can be checked without him having to visit the hospital.

Apparently the ‘Mycarelink’ should be given to him at his check up in June, when he’d had the implant for 4/5 weeks, not just 1 week after it was implanted, but as he was there he now has one. It will sit by the bed and go on trips away with him; we’re joking that it’s a early birthday present - he’ll be 75 on Saturday.

The equipment they have nowadays is amazing! 😀

mysty

Post by mysty »

The body is a bit like a car GG, bits start to go faulty and you have the odd malfunction.
Hopefully it will be back to good working order soon.

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

mysty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 pm
The body is a bit like a car GG, bits start to go faulty and you have the odd malfunction.
My winker system has run out of fluid.

mysty

Post by mysty »

vic evans wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm
mysty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 pm
My winker system has run out of fluid.
That's nothing to be worried about, Mikes head gasket blew yesterday :lol: