What are you doing today?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Tom wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:14 pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm ... s=elm+obd2

:D This is the gizmo I use along with the free Torque app on my smartphone. Really does work!
From a few pages back so a bit of thread drift to talk about fault code readers again but not worthy of a new thread.

Gizmo delivered promptly as expected of Amazon UK, cheap, a great interface if it works for your vehicle but was a chocolate tepaot for mine, old Skoda said "no fault codes found" whereas I know there are loads, perhaps they would have been in the historic code log but I had not seen that option and the car is now scrapped.

New one has Can Bus comms to the OBD socket and to from all the controllers that hold the data, the gizmo would not connect to the car, tried again today and found the casing was too large and prevented correct insertion on my vehicle so removed casing and plugged in bare board, result, it connected! But still no fault codes anywhere yet the airbag light is on and I know that there is a 253 passenger airbag fault logged by the airbag controller.

Have bit the bullet and bought the renowned VCDS Vagcom software and dongle (£225) which is a must for a modern VAG can bus vehicle but wont work for other makes.

Seemingly there is a difference between generic OBD codes and the embedded ones, at my mates UK garage none of their readers could find the fault codes but the £3K Snap on one from next door could go down through the sub systems like VCDS, read and erase them but not run functional tests or change parameters.

you pays your money you take your choice but if you want to do your own repairs and diagnosis being the most important thing then an earlier vehicle with non can bus OBD protocole is better.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

I’m packing to go to Sussex by train tomorrow for our son’s wedding on Saturday. If only things didn’t keep hiding it would be more straightforward.

I’ve also just been on the phone explaining again to my 85 year old brother, who doesn’t live near here and whose memory is becoming really bad, that he’ll be perfect in his suit, shirt and tie, that the wedding isn’t actually on the beach, just that the hotel is by the beach, so he won’t need a beach-type outfit - not that he’s got any beach clothes.........

Getting old can be cruel.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

OH is away in UK collecting online purchases from a friend in UK. (All the stuff from bandits who want stupid money to send things across the Channel). So while she's away was a good opportunity to shut the water down at the mains and tackle a slow leak under the bathroom basin. Everything is getting black and ugly under there and not looking the least bit hygienic. It appears the leak was coming from a badly machine-crimped end fitting on one of the flexy tails under the tap. So off I goes to get a replacement tail of the same size. By the time I reached the fourth DIY emporium I had given up trying to get the exact length of hose so settled for two short ones that joined together making one a bit too long but adequate. The fifth chance of success was another hour's drive away so cut my losses. Came home and fitted it and yippee :D :D no leak. And the fresh paint slapped around the area looks fine. Ten minutes of joy then noticed the damned waste fitting is leaking. :evil: No sealing goo in stock so another trip out tomorrow to buy some. :(
Life. Terms and conditions apply.

mysty

Post by mysty »

We just moved into our new bedroom proper size bed 2m by 2m a standard 140 which we had been using during renovation is too small for a threesome, demon takes up a lot of room. No other furniture yet it arrives next week.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

mysty

Post by mysty »

We are having a barbacue today and heading to croq for there medievel camp reenactment. No idea how bad that will be. Not the Barbie the fete thingy.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Had a fairly busy morning starting to cut back and pull up all that is no longer great in the courtyard (that is my garden). Lovely lunch. Spen,t the afternoon relaxing in the sun with a book and a few glasses of Chilled white wine (interupted by friends calling). Now going to cooking dinner for lovely hubbie who took my car this morning - vacumed it, put it through the car wash and filled it up with petrol :good: :good: :good:

Actually made me think a lot after seeing the news today - how lucky we are - there are people in the world who would give anything and everything to be where we are - life is good and so sad also. I appreciate every min of mine X
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

mysty

Post by mysty »

After yesterdays famous mystys special exotic barbecue which consisted of sausages, burgers and upside down pizza as it cooked too fast so needed flipped over. I need to check that everything was cleaned up after the heavy drinking session.
There was five of us that includes demon who had a sausage and burger, he drank some water out of a bucket we were more civilised
and used plastic glasses :lol: five panaches, one bottle of plonk and some apple juice followed by coffee.
No drunken rabble at this Barbie :lol:

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

Preparing to close the house up ready for departure in the morning. It has been a summer of mixed emotions, arrived mid May then went home towards end of July to nurse my Dad through the last stages of lung, liver and skin cancer in the house where I was born and brought up. He died only a week after I got back, the doctors said he had three months. I decided to come back to France after the funeral, all my friends here are French and they were incredibly supportive. I normally feel quite sad going back to the UK for a while but this time I want to get back. I share the year between the UK, five months in France and two six week stays in Cyprus (April/May & October/November). I just feel lucky to be alive and want to enjoy everyday.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

Thank you very much Noisette, very kind of you.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Lemorvan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 am
Preparing to close the house up ready for departure in the morning. It has been a summer of mixed emotions, arrived mid May then went home towards end of July to nurse my Dad through the last stages of lung, liver and skin cancer in the house where I was born and brought up. He died only a week after I got back, the doctors said he had three months. I decided to come back to France after the funeral, all my friends here are French and they were incredibly supportive. I normally feel quite sad going back to the UK for a while but this time I want to get back. I share the year between the UK, five months in France and two six week stays in Cyprus (April/May & October/November). I just feel lucky to be alive and want to enjoy everyday.
At least you were there. A very sad time and my thoughts are with you. It does bring home to us when a loved one passes how precious life and friends and family are. Im sure you will have tough times, just try to remember all the love and the happy times you spent together. You will learn to cope with your sad loss. Big hugs coming your way XXXXXX
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it