Windows 7 updates

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
RobertArthur

Windows 7 updates

Post by RobertArthur »

Almost 10 years of age, the OH's Asus X-53 notebook, birthday present in September 2011. Only one little problem in 2019: overheating. Cause: somewhere in the 4GB sodimm memory module a defect, noticeable when addressing a defective cell in a higher memory range after ten to thirty minutes of impeccable behaviour after startup. Easy to open these laptops of yesterday, only two tiny screws, slide back cover and hard disk and memory accessible within 20 seconds. Health status of the first battery: more than 80 %. What helps: most of the time connected to the mains keeping discharge/charge cycles to an absolute minimum. An "old" laptop: don't be afraid. By the way: Microsoft is moving away from Windows 10, sooner or later there will be a new kid in town. Wait and see: June 24.

Microsoft tried to scare the loyal W7 users - you're doomed, switch asap to W10 - no more updates. Even for the simple Windows Home version they however continue to supply essential security updates. I just installed the June 2021 patch manually and noticed that this was number 6 this year, the others apparantly installed on autopilot.

So not the risks involved as sometimes with the major system updates we've seen with Windows 10. My advice: do not disable the automatic update function in Windows 7, it will make your system safer.

niemeyjt

Re: Windows 7 updates

Post by niemeyjt »

After 10 years overheating could be the heat transfer paste on CPU failing - I redid it on my slightly younger Dell and changed the fan at same time (noisy bearings).

MS are still patching Windows 7 for corporate users - so it is not great issue to release the same patch through Windows update.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Niemeyjt, this overheating problem showed up quite suddenly, not a gradual temperature rise over time. After a start with a Linux cd the good old MemTest86 program told me that there was something wrong, it lost the will to continue when reaching about 58 % of the test cycle. Heat transfer paste: a drawer full. Only problem: everybody seems to buy new stuff, no more amplifier repairs here anymore, tellies, video recorders or personal computers. Last item repaired: a depth meter for the shipper/owner of a barge. Perhaps his radar system as a new electronic challenge, who knows....

Crabtree

Post by Crabtree »

Beware, Windows 11(?) might be announced later this month.

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Crabtree wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm
Link to that already given in the first post.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Crabtree wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm
Be afraid. Be very afraid. :?
I have a problem with smartphones. I need one hand to hold the phone, another to peck/push/and swipe, and another to hold the magnifying glass.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Aardvark, I fully understand your position.....On the other hand, always look on the bright side of life. My lovely little Samsung netbook N210-Plus came with only 1GB of memory and the special lightweight Windows7-lite version. For not so powerful PCs, laptops and tablets. Wouldn't it be nice to welcome two new Windows versions: a less power and resources hungry lean and mean consumer edition and the real thing for the professionals. Wouldn't it be nice to give a second life to old, but fully functional computer equipment? Wishing and hoping, fingers crossed.....

German intelligence services and the secrets of Windows 11.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Wasn't the canned Windows 10 S supposed to be a lightweight version?

What MS want is something that is linked to the Internet in a way it can generate a continuous income - like Office 365.

edit - you can still get a free update to Windows 10, despite what MS wanted you to believe.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Niemeyjt, about Windows 10 S. Faster, energy efficient, but: no programs outside the Windows Store, only Edge as your browser, Bing as default search engine. To cut a long story short: all in the family shopping experience.

edit: closed shop model as described in Hotel California: "Relax," said the night man, "We are programmed to receive, You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!"

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Yesterday came suddenly for my little Samsung netbook, for many years my loyal companion, at home, abroad, hotel rooms, waiting rooms, railway stations, airports, you name it. I dug it up: there I'm again, Windows7 Starter. Decent 10-inch display, very good keyboard but very slow with its Intel Atom N-450 processor in the age of very fast multicore processors.

Surprise: even this entry level operating system is now updating.......