Spain cracking down on Britons without rights to stay

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Spain cracking down on Britons without rights to stay

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Fewer than zero?

I have not seen one in this area for over a year now.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

There's one parked three cars down the street from mine right now.🤣

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Surrounded by them here, if only they would get pulled over, :good:

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

OH's cousin has applied for Spanish residency. From what I gather it's a quicker process than the French one.

We debated long and hard about what to do about a vehicle to get back. Driving a French registered car in the UK would be, strictly speaking, illegal and the Covid curtain twitchers would probably lynch us in our home village. So we now have a UK reg car in the drive. It's insured, taxed and MOT'd. At the moment as French residents we probably shouldn't use it (and aren't) but round here the plates won't raise an eyebrow. The positive side of Dordogneshire. 🤣

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Plog wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:17 pm
"Owning"/"owned" can be slang for "dominating", certainly in American English..(that's a polite translation)

For example if (American Football) the San Francisco 49'ers beat Green Bay 50-0 a fan might say the "49'ers owned Green bay"

Libs = Liberals = Democrats in the States...(though they aren't liberals in the sense most of us know it)

So roughly translated "“owning the libs” = "Dominating the Democrats"
It also has an unsubtle link to slavery.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

As Ownership has its roots in Theft ?
Last edited by Nifty on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 am
OH's cousin has applied for Spanish residency. From what I gather it's a quicker process than the French one.

We debated long and hard about what to do about a vehicle to get back. Driving a French registered car in the UK would be, strictly speaking, illegal and the Covid curtain twitchers would probably lynch us in our home village. So we now have a UK reg car in the drive. It's insured, taxed and MOT'd. At the moment as French residents we probably shouldn't use it (and aren't) but round here the plates won't raise an eyebrow. The positive side of Dordogneshire. 🤣
Driving a french registered car in the UK is only illegal if you live or have a property there - what about holiday makers?
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

ajm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:46 am
Stompie wrote:

Driving a french registered car in the UK is only illegal if you live or have a property there - what about holiday makers?
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Once we're not French residents it wouldn't be legal.
I have seen it quoted that driving a foreign car in the UK on a UK licence even when resident where the car is registered is also illegal but have never checked. I certainly didn't feel guilty doing it!
I'm a worrier and fret if anything is even a little less than absolutely to the letter of the law.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:55 am
ajm wrote:
Stompie wrote:

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Once we're not French residents it wouldn't be legal.
I have seen it quoted that driving a foreign car in the UK on a UK licence even when resident where the car is registered is also illegal but have never checked. I certainly didn't feel guilty doing it!
I'm a worrier and fret if anything is even a little less than absolutely to the letter of the law.
Like you we used to go back to UK in our French car using UK driving licences - never thought about it. Now on French licences.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:55 am
ajm wrote:
Stompie wrote:

It's residency that creates the problem and providing the driving licence is valid in the country concerned it has no bearing.

My local (three counties!) Roads Policing Unit is seizing up to ten foreign registered vehicles a week because the driver is a UK resident. Most are stopped in town/built up areas and almost 100% Eastern European vehicles but the occasional French and Spanish turns up.