Wasps

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Franksgranny

Re: Wasps

Post by Franksgranny »

Thanks for the help, I've bought the spray today, am a bit worried about how to protect myself from possible attack by very annoyed wasps, but will give it a go when it gets dark. They are definitely wasps, whilst renting a house in south west Some years ago, we escaped into the night when a swarm of hornets descended from the bedroom roof whilst we were asleep, that was very scary.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Never mind ragondin ( we had a few at first house) - an adult sanglier once ran into the driver door of our van. I was driving alone. A dark rainy night.
Either he/she was attacking, or they are deaf and shortsighted.
It was like being hit by a block of concrete. Managed to drive the van home, and went back next day but no sign of a body.

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Asian hornet go to sleep at night Europeans do not

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

crakpot wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Asian hornet go to sleep at night Europeans do not
You'd think they'd be more grumpy.

Headers

Post by Headers »

My neighbour was stung last Sunday by a hornet. She was very shocked and her arm puffed up very quickly.
How did she get stung? She was opening up the bâche on her wood pile to start moving it indoors. She is a country woman and says there was no sign nor sound of the hornets. It was a very big nest inside the pile not visible at all.
So if you, like us are getting ready to move firewood from a long term store outside, please be very careful when uncovering!

She got the wasp man to come and deal with it. 80 euros.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

At an open air communal repas yesterday I watched in awe and disbelief as my paramour calmly picked up a wasp between her fingertips from the food and sent it packing.

I was trying hard not to show that I was cacking myself but am too easily read :oops:

hez

Post by hez »

The locals round here just get together and use the Asian Hornet nests' for shooting practice. Quite a sight right outside your lounge window.

Andy72

Post by Andy72 »

Wifey got stung last week by a hornet/ large wasp so decided its time to put up a few plastic bottle traps. Got about 30 of the ba***rds so far. We put up the traps in April usually to get the queens before they can set up home.
Don’t walk away in silence.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Earlier this summer wasps built a nest in my overtaking mirror. They were relatively small and I tolerated them awhile because they never attacked and were quite interesting. For example, if we drove for an hour they stayed still until the car had been parked. Eventually one or two would crawl out to investigate but would then immediately crawl back in. On the other hand, when we got home, there were always some other wasps waiting and those inside would emerge in numbers.

I found this behaviour quite entertaining until one day, seemingly without provocation, I got stung twice on the same hand. Apart from the danger of having a wasp in the cabin, this unwarranted assault finally persuaded me that my stripy friends had worn out their welcome. The question was how to evict them safely.

First I tried a jet of water but that seemed to have absolutely no effect. Reluctantly I decided to squirt them with wasp killer but only had a can of one to kill flies. Gave them a quick blast with that and found the fly spray rendered them groggy for a few minutes. That was long enough to let me flick out the mirrored glass and expose two nests. Curiously neither seemed to have anything living inside. Anyway, I cleaned everything out but no sooner had the mirror been replaced than there were wasps inspecting it again.

This time I saturated the inside with fly killer and the next day got the loan of a hornet killer spray, which I applied generously. Happily haven't seen a wasp near either mirror since.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Remember wasps do a lot of good pollinating flowers.