Translation Help Please

Hexenbeest

Translation Help Please

Post by Hexenbeest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am

I recently bought a new car and applied for the 1000€ bonus payment due to my car being eco-friendly.

Completed and sent off the form with copies of old carte grise, ID........and new CG in my name. Although I always use my married name and all my ID is in my married name too, the new CG is in my maiden name, as is the French way, with my married name following - maiden name, first name and married name.
So I enclosed a copy of my marriage cert confirming both maiden and married names. This has always been accepted by notaires, banks etc.
The old CG was in joint names but only showing my husband's full name - MME OU M SMITH JOHN

On Friday I received an email from l'ASP asking for:
"Pour terminer votre demande, vous devez nous envoyer une copie du certificat
d'immatriculation du véhicule mentionnant l'immatriculation définitive. A VOTRE NOM."

I took it to be their long winded way of saying they want a copy of my new CG - in my name (ie- they've lost the one I had enclosed with all the other documents). But to be on the safe side, I asked the bods at the Mairie to confirm and they, including the Maire, say the demand is for a CG that specifically says 'definitive' and they reckon l'ASP want the name on the CG to match that on my ID and are totally ignoring my marriage cert.
We all examined our CGs and none say 'definitive' so heaven knows where I'm supposed to get one from that meets their requirements.

There is no way to contact them except by post. Their emails are all 'noreply' and they have a call centre that only give out general info or advice.

So dear friends, what is your understanding of this demand?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Translation Help Please

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:56 am

I am confused by the mention of "the old carte grise" in joint names, have you registered this new vehicle twice, once in joint names and then again in your maiden name?

It sounds to me that they want it registered in your name only not joint names but without understanding the details I cant be sure.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Kathyc (Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm)

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 pm

By 'old carte grise I mean for the old car that I had but is now scrapped. When I bought it 11 years ago the dealer registered it as co-owners - with only my husband's full name, hence MMe ou M blah blah (my name doesn't feature on it at all). The new car and carte grise is solely in my name, it has never been registered in joint names.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Certificat définitive means not a temporary (provisoire) one that allows you to drive for 30 days while waiting for the certificat définitive.

Have you copied the text exactly with the A VOTRE NOM in capitals and seperated by the full stop? If so then I agree with your conclusion because they are emphasising that, if the emphasis is yours then who knows.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm

The text is exactly as they have written it. I haven't changed anything.

I think the thing that threw everyone was the word "mentionnant" in the sentence that would imply the CG had to say 'definitive.'

So what they're saying is 'provide us with a carte grise that is in your name for the new car because we've lost the one you enclosed with all the other docs you sent'. It has nothing to do with getting a CG that says 'definitive' even though no such CG exists or my name on the new CG not being to their liking?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Vehicule mentionnant means the vehicle mentionned, writing in English i would either say "the vehicle in question" or "the aforementioned vehicle", I am betting that the top of the letter will have the name, make and/or registration number of your new car.

I advise you not to try and read between the lines, take it at face value, it does not say they have lost your carte grise, you can respond saying that you had enclosed the carte grise, and it was in your name, dont do any more, they will just sit on it for the duration of their delai and either action your request for remboursement or create a demand for yet another justicatif, its just the standard tactics starting with "pièce manquante and if you cause them any difficulties it will end with "dossier perdu" and you start all over again.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Hexenbeest wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm
It has nothing to do with getting a CG that says 'definitive' even though no such CG exists or my name on the new CG not being to their liking?
They are not saying that the carte grise has to carry the word "definitive" that again is probably your misinterpretation of "mentionnant" which refers to the noun preceeding it, your vehicle.

:!: Have you by any chance sent them a temporary carte grise issued by the dealership?

Editted, it does indeed say mentioning and not mentioned but nonetheless I am sure they are asking for the definitive non temporary carte grise in your name, nothing they have said would make me conclude that they are not happy with the name on the document and there still remains the possibility that they have decided to lose the carte grise together with all the other dossiers in their in tray before going on holiday for the month.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:15 pm

LOL !!!! No, I had no intention of being sarcastic or rude to them. I was going to just enclose another copy with a covering letter saying I've enclosed one along with another copy of my marriage cert confirming my maiden name and married, for their convenience. I just needed to know if that is what they are requesting or something else.

No, I didn't send the provisional cert as I tore it up when I received the permanent one.
I know I sent a copy of the proper CG as I crossed it off their list of required docs to be sent as I stapled it to a copy of my marriage cert, the old CG and other bits. Another reason I wondered if they wanted something else.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the wording. I wonder why the bods at the Mairie were making such a big deal about it :roll: They actually said that the translation 'mentionnant definitive' means 'saying Definitive.' I kid you not !!!!
The letter makes no mention of the car, just my request for the bonus-eco and reference number.

Again, thanks for the clarification Chancer.

exile

Post by exile » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 pm

I have a hunch that I understand what the problem is.

Mrs H has bought a new car in her name. She hopes to claim the benefit for the environmental improvements by declaring a car owned by Mr and Mrs H as scrapped.

They are saying (in the way that foncs are prone to do - ie as unintelligible as possible) that they need a CG in the name of Mrs H (not Mr and Mrs H) to conclude the transaction.
These users thanked the author exile for the post:
Kathyc (Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 pm)

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm

exile wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 pm
I have a hunch that I understand what the problem is.

Mrs H has bought a new car in her name. She hopes to claim the benefit for the environmental improvements by declaring a car owned by Mr and Mrs H as scrapped.

They are saying (in the way that foncs are prone to do - ie as unintelligible as possible) that they need a CG in the name of Mrs H (not Mr and Mrs H) to conclude the transaction.
Do you mean the CG for the old car must be in my name only? If so, no. I queried it before applying and their response was:
"La facture et le nouveau véhicule peuvent être au nom de Mme XXX XXX, la demande de prime à la conversion aussi. Il faudra nous joindre un copie de l'acte de mariage avec les pièces justificatives du dossier de demande de prime à la conversion"
I didn't quote the whole paragraph on the letter as I didn't consider the scenario you mentioned. It references the car acquired so the new car. Here is the whole paragraph:
"S'agissant du véhicule acquis ou loué et des pièces justificatives à produire
Pour terminer votre demande, vous devez nous envoyer une copie du certificat
d'immatriculation du véhicule mentionnant l'immatriculation définitive. A VOTRE NOM".