A forum, that's a good idea

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Re: A forum, that's a good idea

Post by mysty » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Debra wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm
I think the main reasons the main French forums have sunk is 1) that they all 'updated' their software and the result was really slow for most people and 2) they updated to ones that were harder to use - AI is like that I think, albeit I may not have persevered enough :)

This one is fast and easy and though there are a lot of groups on Facebook nowadays, I still find the forum format like this easier to use and keep track of things and also to search for things. On Facebook, threads disappear fairly fast and only the dedicated will search for old ones and point people to them that ask the same old questions so you get a lot of repeats of the same old subjects. It's easier to scroll past a heading after a mouseover for a quick check to see if you are interested than it is to scroll through a Facebook group. Updates are easier to keep track of too - especially since Facebook seems to have totally screwed up their notification system lately.

If I can get the email notifications to work on this forum I'll be happy. (It seems to have stopped working altogether now I've ticked that I want emails rather than just online notifications).
I think you are right debra facebook is very popular and fewer people are buying here so inevitably it will get quieter. They are still a great place to share information.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

sparkapuss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sparkapuss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Can't get on there not now.

sparkapuss

Post by sparkapuss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Was TF the forerunner of FE then?

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 pm

sparkapuss wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm
Was TF the forerunner of FE then?
Yes.

When I first started looking into moving to France I joined TotalFrance Forum, which became FrenchEntree Forum and Living France Forum, which became Complete France Forum. Both were good, though had slightly different atmospheres, but both updated their format and became much slower and the latter hasn't seemed very busy for a long time now. I've been a member of both since 2004-2005. More of us persevered on TF with it's problems than seem to have on CF.

There are others about but they are either rarely used or have annoying things like not being able to see the first part of the topic on mouseover or not having an active topics function.

I find it really irritating and a waste of time to read threads bitching about other forums or quoting people from one to another to stir up trouble, so I'm glad that's deemed inappropriate on this forum.

yello

Post by yello » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Debra wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm
though there are a lot of groups on Facebook nowadays, I still find the forum format like this easier to use and keep track of things and also to search for things.
Ditto. I'm no ludite by any stretch of the imagination but the Fb format isn't one that works for me. (Though I'd acknowledge its strengths for other uses)

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Weyhey I got an email notification for that ^^ yello so I'm happy :D
Last edited by Debra on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 pm

I am with you yello, I use facebook to find builders but its not set up and easy to use like a forum is. To me its more of a message board. On saying that I only started using smartphones a couple of years ago and cannot imagine running a business without them.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

mysty1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 pm
. On saying that I only started using smartphones a couple of years ago and cannot imagine running a business without them.
I have one but still only use it for phoning and sending sms messages :) I tried using it for other stuff but find it too hard to 'type' on and even see! I probably need reading glasses, which I do have somewhere as I need them for small print sometimes, but I don't need to find those to use my laptop so even though my son has given me his old phone, much more up to date than the one I've been using, I doubt a phone will take over for me just yet :) (he gave me it before Xmas and I still haven't set it up!)

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm still living in the 90's.

Hate facebook and smartphones. Really not bothered.

I really wish I could rewind time and go back and live in the 90's without all this internet gobshîte.

Thinking of buying a record player.
Last edited by alittlebitfrench on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm

mysty1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 pm
I am with you yello, I use facebook to find builders but its not set up and easy to use like a forum is. To me its more of a message board. On saying that I only started using smartphones a couple of years ago and cannot imagine running a business without them.
I can't imagine running a business these days. Far too much hassle.
I still remember getting our first pagers, fax m/c , daisy wheel typewriter with an actual screen , DOS computers , posting floppy discs & then, wow! a dial up internet connection.
I'm still ribbed by my ex. associates for saying "this internet thing will never take off"