A forum, that's a good idea

A place for some light-hearted chat.
sparkapuss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A forum, that's a good idea

Post by sparkapuss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:27 pm

I did see that FE was going pop and that those still participating were striking up a newbie, so this is it? I am surprised that people want to get so involved with this type of venture, perhaps trying to breath a bit of life in to something that might have seen better times. Gone are the days when it was a posting every three minutes, it can be weeks before a last update appears on the likes of AI, once considered to be the market leader, but now in the throes of it's death rattles. It must be time consuming policing all the hotheads and experts that seem to inhabit this type of site, critics have already started on another forum regarding deletions, still good luck it's been a long time since I last commented under my original moniker, but in all honesty the excitement and banter seems to have gone away and it's not the fun it used to be, plus I'm getting older and more miserable.

vic evans

Re: A forum, that's a good idea

Post by vic evans » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Shouldn't your name be 'Sourpuss'? :lol:

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Forums provide different things to different people, don't they? Total France was a wonderful resource of information when we first decided to make the move. Much more reliable than books and magazines. It continued to be useful and interesting until French Entrée suffered it's remodelling to the point where it was unuseable, and one or two obnoxious members ruined it (IMHO).
As long as you accept that there are a lot of regional variations within France, it's invaluable having access to others' experiences as well as the truly expert advice so freely given by some members. Long live the forum for those of us that can't abide Facebook etc. :)
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

sparkapuss

Post by sparkapuss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Funnily enough Vic I have been described as a parsimonious git, I had to look that one up, not git, I think it's just a getting old syndrome and this bloody weather doesn't help, I had an idea to start building an ark the way the rain has continued since well before Christmas.

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:45 pm

sparkapuss wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:27 pm
I did see that FE was going pop and that those still participating were striking up a newbie, so this is it? I am surprised that people want to get so involved with this type of venture, perhaps trying to breath a bit of life in to something that might have seen better times. Gone are the days when it was a posting every three minutes, it can be weeks before a last update appears on the likes of AI, once considered to be the market leader, but now in the throes of it's death rattles. It must be time consuming policing all the hotheads and experts that seem to inhabit this type of site, critics have already started on another forum regarding deletions, still good luck it's been a long time since I last commented under my original moniker, but in all honesty the excitement and banter seems to have gone away and it's not the fun it used to be, plus I'm getting older and more miserable.

I think Rooftop, that after two days of a properly managed French forum you can see that there is a demand.

You have to remember that Brits living in France are pisséd bored. :D

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm

I think the main reasons the main French forums have sunk is 1) that they all 'updated' their software and the result was really slow for most people and 2) they updated to ones that were harder to use - AI is like that I think, albeit I may not have persevered enough :)

This one is fast and easy and though there are a lot of groups on Facebook nowadays, I still find the forum format like this easier to use and keep track of things and also to search for things. On Facebook, threads disappear fairly fast and only the dedicated will search for old ones and point people to them that ask the same old questions so you get a lot of repeats of the same old subjects. It's easier to scroll past a heading after a mouseover for a quick check to see if you are interested than it is to scroll through a Facebook group. Updates are easier to keep track of too - especially since Facebook seems to have totally screwed up their notification system lately.

If I can get the email notifications to work on this forum I'll be happy. (It seems to have stopped working altogether now I've ticked that I want emails rather than just online notifications).

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:48 pm

sparkapuss wrote:
There are forum rules and guidelines on this forum, the links are http://newfrenchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3 and http://newfrenchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10

In those you will find that if anyone uses foul language on here then the post will be deleted and foul language was posted so it was deleted.
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

sparkapuss

Post by sparkapuss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm

As long as the advice given is true then yes it's a source of information, but I have come across some right know it all's, I can remember a band of them that had changed their driving licences to French ones and were adamant that the stupid French authorities had mistakenly given them all entitlement to drive buses and LGV's. There was just no convincing them that the groups they thought they could drive were just on a provisional basis and it ended up in yet another banishment for yours truly. There still, on certain forums seems to be a plethora of self recommenders, normally starting off with does anyone know of a good whatever in Gorron or wherever

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm

sparkapuss wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm
Funnily enough Vic I have been described as a parsimonious git, I had to look that one up, not git, I think it's just a getting old syndrome and this bloody weather doesn't help, I had an idea to start building an ark the way the rain has continued since well before Christmas.
Parsimonious is a great word which, due to always being the first up to the bar, I've never been called.
Been called most other things mind you :roll:

CelticRambler

Post by CelticRambler » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:55 pm

sparkapuss wrote:
it can be weeks before a last update appears on the likes of AI, once considered to be the market leader, but now in the throes of it's death rattles.
:lol: AI the market leader? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Total France was the original "France" forum and market leader; none of the other attempts to replicate its form and function ever stood the test of time. I think your older, more miserable self has been proven wrong by the level of excitement and banter that this "Total France Re-born" forum has seen in less than three days, not to mention the apparently seamless and bitterness-free transition of the old TF community from FE to NFF.

Will the good humour last? Probably not. But in the meantime, if you want to be a sourpuss, it sounds like you already know of at least one other forum where they cater for that kind of thing! :P