House insurance

pomme homme

Re: House insurance

Post by pomme homme » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Hmm, could I tell a tale about one particular - and now thankfully retired - agent general whose behaviour verged on the fraudulent and was designed to take full advantage of someone who didn't know 'the system' in France. The clearest evidence of this man being a rogue manifest itself after he retired and the new agent general took over his office. When I asked the new man what was happening with our burst water pipe damage claim, his response was 'what claim?'. Apparently there was a file cover for the claim but next to nothing in it - which went some way to explaining why the old man only ever replied to me by telephone or arriving, unannounced, on my doorstep. And when I endeavoured to recreate at least one side of the file - by supplying copies of my letters, e-mails and file notes - he told me that as more than two years had elapsed since the damage date, the claim was dead as it was outside the limitation period (sometimes we learn the hard way). All of which tends to bear out Chancer's opinions of insurance agents!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

The one i know all too well around here (the others are the same animal) has a network of old pals, all of whom have all their insurances with him and who encourage newcomers like me to do the same, in return just like many of the doorstep agents of old they are out on the ground as soon as their is a storm or a flood to help and encourage their pals to submit bogus claims and to take photos etc of other insured properties to refute any similar independant claims from the owners.

I ended up with the AXA agent because my french was minimal and my only French friend (part of the cabal) said I should, that he had all his insurance with him so I did, I was away travelling for a year so wanted to leave things in safe hands, big :oops: mistake

After moving here and him shafting me on my motor insurance I realised what he was and also that my "best friend" was well in with him as well as his BIL, the reality of what had happened in my absence started to dawn on me but it was years before I had the documentary evidence to prove it and the language skills to understand it.

Long story short, big storm in my absence, phone pal and he says my roof is badly damaged but dont worry, he has had the insurers out and the roofers are already on the job, it will all be covered, nothing to pay, I say if there is then tell me and i will send the money.

On finally arriving in France he said the damage was severe and XYZ roofers fixed it and there was nothing to pay, seemed odd as I thought I had an excess and later I discover that XYZ roofers from Paris are a company owned by his BIL who had a steel company in town, amazing that they should come all the way from Paris the very same day to start work.

Wall of silence from my pal, his BIL and the agent, I finally cracked it by cultivating the friendship of the agents secretary, she gave me a copy of the invoice in the file and I saw that it ran into thousands for retiling and the big charge was special access scaffolding, my roof had 2 new tiles on it, my neighbour said that a couple of tiles had fallen and a couple of others slipped, one guy with a ladder had it all fixed in less than an hour.

nice work if you can get it and no wonder they didnt bother me for the franchise :lol: I kept the knowledge to myself, no point in confrontation, I know these people well now and better than they think that I know them, when my pals SIL's farmhouse burnt down conveniently it was the same modus operendi with the claim and the rebuilding, all dealings and contracts restricetd to the cabal.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Chancer wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 pm
Is your kitchen perhaps open to the lounge, une cuisine americaine?

There it is counted as just une pièce d'habitation unless combined its over 40m2 in which case its 2 pièces, the same applies to any room.

I have great fun with insurance agents when I tell them that the bedrooms are less than 9m2, some way they dont exist, others say they do, I dont really give a monkeys I dont expect any of them to pay out and if they do to make sure they leave a very bitter aftertaste.
No iot is a totally different room. Waledl off with a door that is how the house was built. Not a conversion or add on.
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Chancer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm
The one i know all too well around here (the others are the same animal) has a network of old pals, all of whom have all their insurances with him and who encourage newcomers like me to do the same, in return just like many of the doorstep agents of old they are out on the ground as soon as their is a storm or a flood to help and encourage their pals to submit bogus claims and to take photos etc of other insured properties to refute any similar independant claims from the owners.

I ended up with the AXA agent because my french was minimal and my only French friend (part of the cabal) said I should, that he had all his insurance with him so I did, I was away travelling for a year so wanted to leave things in safe hands, big :oops: mistake

After moving here and him shafting me on my motor insurance I realised what he was and also that my "best friend" was well in with him as well as his BIL, the reality of what had happened in my absence started to dawn on me but it was years before I had the documentary evidence to prove it and the language skills to understand it.

Long story short, big storm in my absence, phone pal and he says my roof is badly damaged but dont worry, he has had the insurers out and the roofers are already on the job, it will all be covered, nothing to pay, I say if there is then tell me and i will send the money.

On finally arriving in France he said the damage was severe and XYZ roofers fixed it and there was nothing to pay, seemed odd as I thought I had an excess and later I discover that XYZ roofers from Paris are a company owned by his BIL who had a steel company in town, amazing that they should come all the way from Paris the very same day to start work.

Wall of silence from my pal, his BIL and the agent, I finally cracked it by cultivating the friendship of the agents secretary, she gave me a copy of the invoice in the file and I saw that it ran into thousands for retiling and the big charge was special access scaffolding, my roof had 2 new tiles on it, my neighbour said that a couple of tiles had fallen and a couple of others slipped, one guy with a ladder had it all fixed in less than an hour.

nice work if you can get it and no wonder they didnt bother me for the franchise :lol: I kept the knowledge to myself, no point in confrontation, I know these people well now and better than they think that I know them, when my pals SIL's farmhouse burnt down conveniently it was the same modus operendi with the claim and the rebuilding, all dealings and contracts restricetd to the cabal.
In Germany I discovered that a town’s fire brigade were pulling a fast one when charging for clearing up after an accident. I slid off my motorbike it and it ran along the edge of a kerb causing a hole in the crankcase housing which poured 4 1/2 litres of oil onto the already slippery road. The fire brigade turned up with a couple of 4x4s and half a dozen firemen who started to clean the road then the breakdown truck I’d phoned through ADAC arrived. The breakdown driver suggested that I called the police, the chief fireman insisted that there was no need but I did anyway. A police car arrived and I was asked a few questions. They filled out the paperwork and informed me that I wasn’t responsible for the accident as there was oil on the road from an unreported accident earlier in the day. About a week later I received a letter from the fire brigade with a bill for the clean up enclosed. It was an itemised bill showing that six vehicles and 24 firepeople had been involved and the total was over €2000. I presume they expected me to forward it to my insurance company to pay. I didn’t, I asked the police for advice and they said that as I wasn’t responsible for the accident I wasn’t responsible for the bill. The fire brigade obviously knew exactly what they were doing; they didn’t want the police involved, the bill was nothing like the resources used and presumably expected my insurance company to boost their funds.

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:06 am

pomme homme wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Crikey. Based on my experience, it seems that the agents who you have approached for insurance quotes don't want your business. For nearly 2.5 times your habitable area I'm paying, for buildings and contents cover, some 25% less than the figure that you're being quoted. And I'm still thinking of shopping around prior to the next renewal.

I've found - and I don't know if my experience is unique - that the premium quoted and attitude to claims is, unlike the UK, not just determined by the insurer but by the agent. I've dealt with two different agents for the same insurer and my experience with each has been totally different. So might it be worth approaching different agents for the insurers who have, so far, quoted for your business - as well as approaching agents for other companies?

Beyond the foregoing, I can only wish you better luck than you seem, so far, to have had.
The insurance on our place was half the cost previously quoted until I had a claim and an insurance assessor visited, on that visit he assessed that we where under insured and that the re-build cost was double the price we actually paid for the property, his view was that most people (English) in France grossly under estimate the re-build value of their homes as the cost is vastly different to the market value, based on this experience I would suggest that you obtain a re-build cost before you re-new your insurance, especially as you have 2.5 times my habitable area and paying 25% less.

Mike

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 am

Only yesterday I was told that the rebuild cost was not taken into account when calculating the insurance premium , the two figures which are variable and affect the premium are the cover given to fixtures and fittings in the case of disaster and the value of items that are covered for theft.
If you want confirmation of this I will gladly send you the contact details of the agent who explained the way the premium is calculated. My current insurer had also stated out that there was no limit to the cost of the house being rebuilt, a house, unlike a car cannot be written off.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 am

I've never had to supply a rebuild figure to any of those from whom II've received quotes for buildings insurance cover. I wonder whather, Mike, your assessor was of the school described by Chancer. If so, I can't help but speculate whether he was from the same firm as one I had visit me after a water damage claim - who, I believe, acted in concert with the agent general, described in my earlier post, to stitch me up!

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 am
Only yesterday I was told that the rebuild cost was not taken into account when calculating the insurance premium , the two figures which are variable and affect the premium are the cover given to fixtures and fittings in the case of disaster and the value of items that are covered for theft.
If you want confirmation of this I will gladly send you the contact details of the agent who explained the way the premium is calculated. My current insurer had also stated out that there was no limit to the cost of the house being rebuilt, a house, unlike a car cannot be written off.
Please do send me a copy.

I wonder how much effect the second home aspect has?

mike

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm

A copy? A copy of what? The agent explained that they base the basic quote on the number of rooms and the materials used in the construction. Presumably their data provides them with the risks associated and they charge accordingly. There is no opportunity to underinsured or overinsure the building. I do know that by having a property which is occupied for more than 265 days of the year and by having occupied neighbouring houses does reduce the premium.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Mike, having read back through your posts am I wrong in making the assumption that you have been approaching UK insurers or agents to insure a holiday home in France (you said £1000)?

If so then they are using the UK model no doubt aided by their "expert" in reducing your claim and doubling your premium, you really would be far better off with a French insurer even if they are a shark or dont speak English, as has been said you are rated on the number of pièces and not the rebuilding cost.

If the worst were to happen the cabal which includes the "expert" will find many other ways to reduce or refuse your claim which is why its always worth labouring the question and getting verification in writing of how many pièces your home should be insured for, a common trick for the agents when they realise a foreigner cany be sold on the usual scare tactics and is buying on price is to quote you for les pièces than you really have, the net result is the same as your underinsurance, claim reduced premiums increased.

Maybe you have a French insurer that speaks English, - likely to be even more of a shark then usual if he has done it to improve his business, that being exploiting pigeons.