House insurance

DominicBest

Re: House insurance

Post by DominicBest » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm

I’ve just been doing the rounds getting insurance quotes for my house. It’s the same house each time but three different companies describe in in three different ways.

Mutuelle de Poitiers claim it is a house with seven rooms.

Banque Populaire claims it is simply six rooms and kitchen.

MMA refer to it as having only six rooms as kitchens don’t count.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:10 pm

More importantly how - if at all - does that reflect in the premiums quoted?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Not at all just confusing. It started when MdP based their quote on the three downstairs rooms and four bedrooms. I noticed that my MMA policy said six rooms and as the agent had been to look at the property I was wondering how he’d made such a basic mistake. BP then referred to the house as six salles, cuisine so I asked what they meant. Eventually I went back to MMA to say I thought that they’d made a mistake only to be told that no, it had six rooms, kitchens (and bathrooms) don’t count.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm

I am with AVIVA and my kitchen counts and is therefore included.
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm

bubbles1 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm
I am with AVIVA and my kitchen counts and is therefore included.
That’s the MdP model then.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Is your kitchen perhaps open to the lounge, une cuisine americaine?

There it is counted as just une pièce d'habitation unless combined its over 40m2 in which case its 2 pièces, the same applies to any room.

I have great fun with insurance agents when I tell them that the bedrooms are less than 9m2, some way they dont exist, others say they do, I dont really give a monkeys I dont expect any of them to pay out and if they do to make sure they leave a very bitter aftertaste.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm

The kitchen is separate, we had that conversation it’s just the different terminology that the different companies use for the same thing.

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm

pomme homme wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm
What square metrage are you seeking to insure? And is the property 'non-standard' in terms of location or construction? Finally are you seeking just buildings or buildings and contents cover?
120m sq habitual space, standard stone and concrete tile roof, buildings and content, plus dependancies, barn 13M sq, and piggery now not included due to storm damage two years ago approximately.

Mike

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Crikey. Based on my experience, it seems that the agents who you have approached for insurance quotes don't want your business. For nearly 2.5 times your habitable area I'm paying, for buildings and contents cover, some 25% less than the figure that you're being quoted. And I'm still thinking of shopping around prior to the next renewal.

I've found - and I don't know if my experience is unique - that the premium quoted and attitude to claims is, unlike the UK, not just determined by the insurer but by the agent. I've dealt with two different agents for the same insurer and my experience with each has been totally different. So might it be worth approaching different agents for the insurers who have, so far, quoted for your business - as well as approaching agents for other companies?

Beyond the foregoing, I can only wish you better luck than you seem, so far, to have had.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Its definitely not like for like but I pay a fraction of that for my hôtel with PL and cover for renters damage, more than double the habitable space and definitely a lot more pièces.

Either Mike wants/is accepting cover for every eventuality (like the tyres on his vehicle) or they are taking him for an American.

I second the advice that many agents set the price at which they believe the pigeon will accept and/or will push through 15% increases every renewal which even if you set out at the right price will soon double what you should be paying with moderate increases. Definitely worth shopping around with different agents for the same company but you will be lucky to find one that isnt worthy of the pejorative of the phrase earned by the old type UK agents of decades ago, Xavier Bertrand is/was an insurance agent, says it all really.

I found an honest(ish) AXA agent, well one not as crooked as the one I was initially with, 50% cheaper for higher cover with of course the same insurer, problem though, once one has his hooks into you you cannot change to another unless you move home to another town on resiliate, take a years cover with another company and then go back to (in my case) AXA with the honest(ish) agent.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
pomme homme (Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 pm)