Anyone know what the difference between France and the U.K. is on this?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Elizabeth

Re: Anyone know what the difference between France and the U.K. is on this?

Post by Elizabeth »

Totally agree,it has been my bug bear for a while.A young relative of mine,bright lad but not spectacularly so ,was pushed down the degree path when he would have been more suited for a vocational course. His A levels didn’t get him to his first choice university.When he got to the one that did accept him,young lad away from what was a difficult family situation he went a bit silly and work wasn’t his priority .He then was put under pressure and it affected his mental health.His degree wasn’t brilliant and to this day he hasn’t got a job job

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

jsks wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 am
Monsieur3seas wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:12 am
what is more of a concern to me is that we allow young people to get into debt whilst studying stupid subjects at uni where they have little hope of finding a job that will compensate for 4 years wasted.....
Should tertiary education be vocational? But the concept of empty degrees is valid.

I'd rather see an education system that reserves University for the intellectually gifted while offering vocational training for the more practically minded.

For reasons I don't understand it seems to be axiomatic that a degree, however valueless, is somehow more worthy than an electricians qualification or a plumbers, goldsmith, panel-beater etc.
I’m out of touch with the system in Germany but there children who were not destined for an academic career had access to a comprehensive vocational training from early teens. They studied appropriate academic subjects along practical studies leading to placements and apprenticeships in industry. The percentage of pupils who were retained after the apprenticeship was impressive. It seemed a much better system to me, preparing children for thei4 real futures not a fake one based on a worthless degree.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Paul Johnson who is head of the Institute of Fiscal studies (and who was an acquaintance in a previous life) wrote an interesting piece on how difficult it is to get vocational training in the UK from a personal perspective. He has several kids...very intelligent ...university prospects, except one of his kids isn't and never wanted to go to university and has always been more suited to a trade. He was saying that it was more difficult to try and find a vocational training for him than it was to get his other kids into Oxbridge.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

niemeyjt wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 am
I agree - the push for 50% of the population to have a degree was not ideal. And branding a higher education college as a University was little more than a licence to charge exorbitant fees.

Here (CH) they have a very good system of trade schools - and there is no stigma attached to attending one instead of University.
Actually many of what were the former Polytechnics are much more rigorous and student centred than the old style Universities. I worked in both and I much preferred my time in the newer Uni. The Irish Universities that I've visited seem to strike a good balance.