Shamima Begum

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Plog

Re: Shamima Begum

Post by Plog »

It's Sat AM, still, just, so be gentle but am I correct in thinking that right now she literally is a citizen of nowhere?

If she is then I must admit to being in some agreement with Mangetout - the decision might have set a dangerous precedent...

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

"Citizen of nowhere"
Been there. Done that. Never been back to my country of origin and it all worked out fine in the end.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Plog wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:06 am
It's Sat AM, still, just, so be gentle but am I correct in thinking that right now she literally is a citizen of nowhere?

If she is then I must admit to being in some agreement with Mangetout - the decision might have set a dangerous precedent...
No, she has Bangladesh nationality through her parents

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

She was born in Britain. Do we now have two definitions of British now? Two different classes of citizenship with different rights for people born in Britain? And now a precedent has been set whereby a court blindly accepts, without providing proof or justification, what the govt. says about someone being a possible security risk.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

After the Storm 2 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:27 am
She was born in Britain. Do we now have two definitions of British now? Two different classes of citizenship with different rights for people born in Britain? And now a precedent has been set whereby a court blindly accepts, without providing proof or justification, what the govt. says about someone being a possible security risk.
Nope - nationality comes from parents, not birth location (with a few exceptions like US)

As for "security risk" - I suspect the security services may have had some input - look at the Indy link I posted earlier - she is not some innocent schoolgirl.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Why has this particular woman been singled out as such a hate figure when other ISIS fighters have returned to Britain without huge furore?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Perhaps you said it Jackie woman

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Jackie wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:40 am
Why has this particular woman been singled out as such a hate figure when other ISIS fighters have returned to Britain without huge furore?
Perhaps because most of the others have only had UK nationality and thus it could not be stripped? She was dual national. And she was not the first to be stripped of UK nationality either. Nor were all others so stripped women - most are men:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... mima-begum

However, as for why Begum is in the news today, it is because she lost her case on Friday. She will soon be forgotten as the news moves on. Nothing to do with her being a woman. MSM is fickle.

Cast your minds back a couple of years to the cases of El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey - they were similarly high profile in the news as they fought extradition to the US. And they were also stripped of UK nationality yet now all is done and dusted, they are awaiting US justice and the MSM has moved on. Maybe they will hit headlines after sentencing in the future?

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

niemeyjt wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:38 am

As for "security risk" - I suspect the security services may have had some input - look at the Indy link I posted earlier - she is not some innocent schoolgirl.
You are asking me to make a judgement from a newspaper article? Whether she is innocent or not is not what is relevant here but if she isn't then a court should prosecute her and find her guilty.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

As you make your bed, so you must lie upon it.

Just a thought.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”