Princess Latifi

A place for some light-hearted chat.
manonthemoon2

Princess Latifi

Post by manonthemoon2 »

I always thought Dubai was a "softer" middle east country, and from my own experience of travelling from The Oman through Dubai, things seemed relaxed, in comparison to Saudi.

This programme shocked me

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/Miss ... htag_click

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56085369

It was on BBC last night. I hope she is found safe and well, although no doubt traumatised.

jsks

Re: Princess Latifi

Post by jsks »

Dubai's superficial openness hides quite feudal underpinnings. Fall foul of the norms expected and the penalties can be summary and harsh.

This poor woman's treatment exemplifies the mediaeval attitudes at the state's core.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

How many of us give a second thought about the local population when we're on holiday?

AIIy

Post by AIIy »

This poor woman's treatment exemplifies the mediaeval attitudes at the state's core.
Megan Markel? Diana Spencer? Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon?
Being funny makes you more attractive.
Beauty fades but sarcasm lives forever.

manonthemoon2

Post by manonthemoon2 »

tim17 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:11 am
How many of us give a second thought about the local population when we're on holiday?
I lived there, it wasn't a holiday Tim

Plog

Post by Plog »

jsks wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 pm
Dubai's superficial openness hides quite feudal underpinnings. Fall foul of the norms expected and the penalties can be summary and harsh.

Yep, it's about ten years ago now but during a very short "visit" we had a couple of work colleagues unthinkingly break one of the "female going shopping with unrelated male" rules when visiting the western style shopping mall, full of western brands, that was immediately adjacent to the (western brand) hotel.....The pair got spotted by the local "police" and it all turned very very ugly.

Embassy level intervention was needed to get them out of clink in time to go home on schedule.

It has supposedly liberalised since then but.... :?

By contrast at least when we visited Saudi :shock: :? we all knew the rule set :shock:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

My nieces went shopping in a souk in Abu Dhabi, with their parents . One had a skirt on ,the other shorts neither particularly revealing,their dad is well aware of the culture in that area .They became aware of a local male getting closer as they walked round, then this voice echoed around the place “Mum he’s rubbing his willie down my leg “ That was to a 23 year old ,with her parents

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

I'm sure there are several innocent Filipino, Indian, or Pakistani prisoners there in a multi-occupation-hole-in-the-floor-toilet cell who would do anything to be locked up in a villa, but they are from the countries where the serving classes come from and they don't have influential friends to make noises for them on the world scene.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

manonthemoon2

Post by manonthemoon2 »

When living in The Oman, I had to be very careful with our blonde young son, who was 4 at the time as other cultures were fascinated by a European white blonde boy. So it wasn't just the girls or women.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

A friend of mine’s family whose father worked in the aerospace industry lived in Abu Dhabi when she was a young teenager. She used to experience local men grabbing her between the legs and had to wear a wedding ring to try and deflect the unwanted attention. :(