Opening new UK Bank Account as French Resident

Leclairon

Opening new UK Bank Account as French Resident

Post by Leclairon »

I was on FE and remember there was some discussion about this but I can't remember what the result was.
I understand it is possible to open a UK basic bank account as a French resident. However, this apparently depends on the bank.

Could someone please tell me where it is possible to open an account.

I have tried quite a few and they all say not possible.

Thanks
Leclairon

Aardvark

Re: Opening new UK Bank Account as French Resident

Post by Aardvark »

I can't say for sure but I think the answer to this question has always been no. The alternatives are to go for an online only bank but these usually require a minimum amount going in regularly and a minimum balance being held.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

As far as I know Royal Bank of Scotland will still give UK citizens living in the EU a current account. They were still advertising it on their internet banking website until recently - now there is some other info when I go to log it - worth a try.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

ok so i'm going to ask why can't you open a bank account if you live in France?
I've had one with Nat West for years and never had any trouble/questions
did something change and I missed it?

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

If you are an existing customer most banks are happy for you to move to another EU country and retain the use of your account. The OP was asking about "Opening new UK Bank Account as French Resident".

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

I don't know if this will be of use to you but Transferwise, the currency traders, have a bank account that they call "borderless"

https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm
If you are an existing customer most banks are happy for you to move to another EU country and retain the use of your account. The OP was asking about "Opening new UK Bank Account as French Resident".
Yes and you have to have a UK address proven with a utility bill with your name on it - just like here in La Belle - so I have been told. I also have had my bank account since before I moved here, credit and debit cards with it and also a credit card from another bank - I closed my current account when we moved - they never cancelled my credit card. I use it to keep it going. All have French address - not a problem before - maybe in the future after the B word.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Leclairon

Post by Leclairon »

Hi
Thanks all for replies. Yes, the difference is that I want a 'new' account now that I am no longer a UK resident and when I asked if I could open it with a UK address, they wanted utility bills, etc.

Do you know which online banks will open an account? I tried First Direct as I thought I had read that they would accept non-resident but no.

I will try RBS and see what they have.
I had read before about Transferwise so will try them - thanks for the link.

I thought there was some legislation a couple of years ago which said they couldn't deny a 'basic' current account. However, it seems to rest with the bank as to whether they want to let someone have an account. I have tried a lot. Some weren't sure, then 'checked' and said 'no'. A couple were a definite 'no'.

Thanks all.

mysty

Post by mysty »

You can open an account in Jersey or the Isle of Man.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

exile

Post by exile »

mysty wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:47 pm
You can open an account in Jersey or the Isle of Man.
You can.
But minimum balance is usually in excess of £10k and can be more than double that. Charges are also eye-watering. They make French banks look a total bargain.

Halfpint: what has changed or intensified is the need to prove that clients are not money laundering or conducting evasion of taxes - especially to the US authorities. The easy option has always been to simply say "no" to non-residents, but like others I am led to believe that they have been told they must offer a simple account if requested. However if you go to the BBA website it will direct non-residents to the above CI and IoM accounts.